• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Yes, I want to have 32-48 submissions to make it worthwhile. Currently I have 2 :(
My original thought was it to be a "Cartotalk" book so I haven't promoted anywhere else. I like to think that most "design" cartographers have found this site by now.
If it ends up not being a "go" I won't be upset, as it will just be a sign that we are not ready for something like this as a community.

We're surely ready for that! I'll submit some maps and I'm waiting for the permission of my ex-employer. Should not be a problem. They're always willing for promotion (and they don't have to do anything for it so... ;) ).

We all know we have some really talented and renown cartographer (Tom Patterson comes to mind) who, I'm sure could have something to submit.

Come on everybody, let's show the world what we're capable of! B)

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Nick - Maybe, in this case, it would be helpful to email every member - as you know, people need a little prodding to get going. It's a great opportunity for the community and, from my point of view, receiving an email describing the project would be most welcome. It's likely the announcement won't be viewed by all members in time.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Nick - Maybe, in this case, it would be helpful to email every member - as you know, people need a little prodding to get going. It's a great opportunity for the community and, from my point of view, receiving an email describing the project would be most welcome. It's likely the announcement won't be viewed by all members in time.

That's a good idea Jeff. I will have to think about it a little because of the spam implications.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I/we at Hedberg Maps are also on it, but I'm on vacation and the entire office is being rejiggered (new floor, furniture, etc) so we're a little distracted this week. We will submit something by deadline.

I know it's implied, and I trust you Nick, but it might be helpful up front to state that all rights remain with the creators and that submitted files will not/may not/cannot/whatever be reused for any other purpose by the book publisher, cartotalk, its employees, relations, friends, pets or really anyone.

I dunno, it's sometimes just a little harder to persuade people to send their electronic files off vs paper files... especially people who don't know you.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

We are planning on submitting several maps as well. You'll have them by the deadline (more likely by early/mid next week).

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Soon I will be raining maps on you too...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I/we at Hedberg Maps are also on it, but I'm on vacation and the entire office is being rejiggered (new floor, furniture, etc) so we're a little distracted this week. We will submit something by deadline.

I know it's implied, and I trust you Nick, but it might be helpful up front to state that all rights remain with the creators and that submitted files will not/may not/cannot/whatever be reused for any other purpose by the book publisher, cartotalk, its employees, relations, friends, pets or really anyone.

I dunno, it's sometimes just a little harder to persuade people to send their electronic files off vs paper files... especially people who don't know you.

Good point Nat.

I have modified the original submission posting.

Nick Springer

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Just to know what to submit... If my maps were mostly published in book, do you prefers to have the entire layout, i.e., the map in its context or the map alone?

My ex-exployer has granted me the permission to submit some maps, but they will probably only send me just the minimum...

Thanks!

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm also picking out several things to submit, and very excited about this.

I wonder how you plan to deal with the big differences in size. Our maps range from quarter-page book maps to 24x36 sheets with mapping on both sides. Just reducing big maps to fit on your page will cause them to lose something; I'd suggest showing a representative swatch--at the original scale--from oversized maps.

Also, to increase visibility and legitimacy, I'd suggest mailing some kind of note to well-known design firms who do maps but might not know CartoTalk: Reineck + Reineck in San Francisco, Pentagram and 212 in NY, etc.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I'm also picking out several things to submit, and very excited about this.

I wonder how you plan to deal with the big differences in size.

I was wondering the same thing. Most of our maps are really big. We don't have a problem submitting printed maps for review if that's a better solution.

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I know I "PMed" you with this question Nick, but I thought other might have the same:

How do you want to deal with an "atlas" were the "map" is split-up on numerous bound pages (such as the Delorme Series of state atlases)?

-Casey Greene
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

kpearson

kpearson

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Cartography & Bouldering!
  • United States

In response to the requirement of owning the copyrights to the map: How do I copyright a map?
Thanks,

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

I know I "PMed" you with this question Nick, but I thought other might have the same:

How do you want to deal with an "atlas" were the "map" is split-up on numerous bound pages (such as the Delorme Series of state atlases)?

-Casey Greene

Send a representative page. For maps that are much larger than the page size I may show a cropped portion at 100% and then a thumbnail of the whole map.

The book is going to be 8.5" x 8.5" square if anyone wants to crop their own map.

Nick Springer

CelticMaps

CelticMaps

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Nick, do you have a minimum number of submissions needed to make the project a 'go'? If so, approximately how many maps are you talking about? Which other venues are you working through to generate submissions? I'll be sure to let folks know about your project - the more the merrier. Great idea by the way.

Yes, I want to have 32-48 submissions to make it worthwhile. Currently I have 2 :(
My original thought was it to be a "Cartotalk" book so I haven't promoted anywhere else. I like to think that most "design" cartographers have found this site by now.
If it ends up not being a "go" I won't be upset, as it will just be a sign that we are not ready for something like this as a community.

Nick, I will be sending you a PDF in the next few day. Thanks for offering this idea.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

We have a pretty good number of submissions now, but there is still room for more, so I am extending the deadline to next Friday, May 30th.

Nick Springer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->