• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi folks!

I haven't been here for a long time... it's good to be back! :)

I'd like to know it it could be possible to convert font symbols in Arc to to graphics by using a fonction like the "Create Outline" in Illustrator?

I tried several method to add good quality custom vectorial symbols in Arc and so far, none give us the result we would have like. We'd like to create a font with our symbols, but we're not sure we want to give it to all our clients so they could open our map documents...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

This is near the top of my wish list for Arc. Not at the top, but near the top.

Many of our font-based symbols won't embed because of licensing restrictions, so we must open them up in Illustrator to convert fonts to curves before we share the file. I spoke to an ESRI rep about this, and the response was "this is planned for the release after 9.4." Perhaps one of the ESRI people would care to comment.

If you create a marker symbol from the font, that can be converted to curves on export.

In the meantime I've taken our font-based symbols, converted to curves in Illustrator, and exported to emf. Then I created an image-based style set using the emf. This just gives me a little better control over the conversion.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hi folks!

I haven't been here for a long time... it's good to be back! :)

Welcome back Francois!

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

If you create a marker symbol from the font, that can be converted to curves on export.

In the meantime I've taken our font-based symbols, converted to curves in Illustrator, and exported to emf. Then I created an image-based style set using the emf. This just gives me a little better control over the conversion.

That's what I have to do for now because we send pdfs to our clients, but eventually, we'll have to send our .mxd and .shp as well and we don't want to share our fonts or, at least, not the entire font... It has the disadvantage that they have to install the font on every computer that could possibly open the map and that can cause problems.

I converted fonts in Illy onto emf, but the size has to be large enough to have a good quality. It works well, but It doesn't have the flexibility of a font... to change the color of the symbol, we have to change it in Illy, reexport it and reimport it in Arc... :(

Thanks! :)

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

(you know you are an addict when you think a week since the last fix feels aeons...)

:)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

(you know you are an addict when you think a week since the last fix feels aeons...)

:)

Hahaha! Yes, it's true... I haven't been here two weeks so... just imagine!! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->