5 replies to this topic

_Joshua_

_Joshua_

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hi,
I found a couple related issues on this subject but nothing that goes to the heart of my propblem.

When exporting map documents from Arcmap 9.2 to AI, each symbol is converted to a path. For example, if the original symbol (in Arc) was a triangle, each triangle is converted to a <path> ( not an Illustrator " symbol"). I would like to change this path to a symbol so that I can change the symbology for all features en masse . Can this happen in AI?

A little background: I produce maps with analysts. Analysts often change there minds. Map symbology changes a lot.

Any guidence is appreciated. Thanks,
joshua

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Yes you can - check out these javascripts: http://www.wundes.co...ltipleObjects.j

If I remember correctly, you need some tweaking to get the operation right - and it helps if you put the Illy symbol you want replaced to and the paths to be replaced on a separatate layer, and with no groups.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Hi Joshua,
Have you tried un-checking the box "Convert marker symbols to polygons"? On the options-> format tab?

Also, I agree with Frax - I tend to make separate layers so it's easier to change later.

avz

avz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Hi,
I found a couple related issues on this subject but nothing that goes to the heart of my propblem.

When exporting map documents from Arcmap 9.2 to AI, each symbol is converted to a path. For example, if the original symbol (in Arc) was a triangle, each triangle is converted to a <path> ( not an Illustrator " symbol"). I would like to change this path to a symbol so that I can change the symbology for all features en masse . Can this happen in AI?

A little background: I produce maps with analysts. Analysts often change there minds. Map symbology changes a lot.

Any guidence is appreciated. Thanks,
joshua

Hi Joshua, You cab use MAPublisher from Avenza to import shapefiles directly into Illustrator with coordinates systems and attribute information. Once inside you could create a stylesheet to assign Illustrator symbols to import point shapefiles

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Hi Joshua,
Have you tried un-checking the box "Convert marker symbols to polygons"? On the options-> format tab?

Also, I agree with Frax - I tend to make separate layers so it's easier to change later.

Usually un-checking that box will work fine. It depends on the complexity of your symbols though. Sometimes your symbols may not show properly in AI, particularly on another machine because it may not have the right font/symbol library loaded. Generally, the symbols should show up as symbols rather than paths.

Also, when exporting from ArcMap to AI, use a dpi that is divisible by 72. I wrote up an explanation on the ESRI Mapping Center. I usually use 720 when exporting.

_Joshua_

_Joshua_

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all the help. Unchecking the convert marker symbols to polygons seemed to do the trick with my sample data. Not sure why, but I always had that checked. Unfortunately, I can't use MapPublisher for this type of work because of our shop's focus on using ESRI products. In other words, all our projects are born and live most of their days in Arc (with final touches done in AI). Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->