10 replies to this topic

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I am thinking about buying a new camera and I was wondering if anyone here has got a chance to experiment with those new GPS-integrated cameras?

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

There was recently a thread about this on the SCGIS mailing list - I think the conclusion was that there is no good option for that for hobbyists, but it depends on the needs/usage.
http://listserv.uri....0...amp;O=T&T=0

On my last trip I had a handheld GPS with me, and I logged tracks - and made sure that the clock in my camera and gps was reasonably in sync - but I haven't yet given the photos coords...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

If you do a search, there are several GPS cameras on the market, but they are more for commercial use than consumer use. There is one option though (and it is close to what frax has mentioned), get an external GPS device, but use something like this: Canon WFT-E2A which is a wireless file transmitter that can connect to your GPS device. Unfortunately, it's about $800 (plus the cost of the GPS device). I assume that your GPS device must be compatible too.

The new accessory dedicated Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2A allows wireless transfer and backup, as well as remote control of the camera in Live View mode. The new transmitter is much smaller and lighter than its predecessor and more affordable as well. The WFT-E2A has many useful capabilities besides wireless transmission of digital photos. In addition to supporting the EOS-1D Mark III Digital SLR's Remote Live View functions, it can also be connected to various Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices such as high-capacity hard drives or convenient flash drives with much larger storage capacity than the memory cards in the camera, for instant backup as images are captured. Whats more, the WFT-E2A can be connected to portable GPS devices to record GPS information (longitude, latitude, altitude, UTC) which is added to file metadata and displayed on the camera's LCD screen below the histogram.

I did find this on Google as well, it's a Sony GPS-CS1.

Also this link as well.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What I mentioned is a post-being-out-processing job, you give the photos coordinates afterwards, when you have offloaded the digital photos and the gps tracklog to your computer. Simple, easy and cheap!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Thank for info guys, I didnt realize just how much those new GPS cameras are out of my budget...Well for now i guess i'll just use Hugo's technique, and wait a couple years for the price to trickle down on the fancier stuff.

Thanks Again :)

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
- blog
- maps

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Posted Image

I took this picture this past weekend during my hike.... taking a pic of the actual GPS works too... haha :)

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

:lol: :lol: :lol:.....Oh wait :blink: , that actually is a great idea. I think i'm going to try.

If I can keep the pictures lined up right in the camera, it will work better for me then writing coordinates down on paper because most of the pictures I take is when i am on bike rides, and fumbling with a camera is enough without having to deal with paper and pens.

take a picture of.......that's brilliant :)

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
- blog
- maps

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

But you need to take a picture of the right screen. That one won't help much!
Rick Dey

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

But you need to take a picture of the right screen. That one won't help much!

hahah... that's true! you'll need to take pics of the lat/long screen.

i was purely interested in the elevation at that moment, so that's why i took the pic. :)

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I've had good luck with this software: GPS Photo Linker (http://oregonstate.e...inker/index.php). It is Mac only but I'm sure there must be some windows program out there that will do the same thing.

It is especially useful if you want to geotag a batch process a whole bunch of photos, like everything you took along a particular hike. Remember to take a photo of the clock on your GPS screen before starting to make it easier to sync everything up later. The software will do a pretty good job of assigning coordinates to the photos by averaging the camera time data to the timestamps in your trackfile.

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I've had good luck with this software: GPS Photo Linker...

Wow, ill have to check out some of that software. I didn't even know that it was out there, thanks for dropping that! :)

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
- blog
- maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->