9 replies to this topic

Alisa1110

Alisa1110

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ukraine

Hello!
My region (Sevastopol, Ukraine) doesn't have roads and areas of cities and I want to create a map for Google Maps. I have a shape files of main roads of need area and convert files (KML format). But I can see this files in Google Earth but I can't see in Google Maps. (in Google Maps lines of roads show bad).
anybody knows what's the problem? )))
Thanks a lot for your answers ) :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

My region (Sevastopol, Ukraine) doesn't have roads and areas of cities and I want to create a map for Google Maps. I have a shape files of main roads of need area and convert files (KML format). But I can see this files in Google Earth but I can't see in Google Maps. (in Google Maps lines of roads show bad).

If you want to add a map layer to Google Maps, you'll need to produce a map first, then create a raster version of it and tile it up. The tiling can be done in Global Mapper, there's various ways to produce the map itself. What software do you have available?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hello!

Hi

You are very right, vector or GIS data does not display on Google Map but flash is the answer.

Please have a look at the link http://nycsubway.eyebeamresearch.org/ probably you will get your answer.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

You are very right, vector or GIS data does not display on Google Map but flash is the answer.

Please have a look at the link http://nycsubway.eyebeamresearch.org/ probably you will get your answer.

Anu

Actually vector data does display on Google Maps... You just can't display too much of it without causing performance issues in the browser.

As Hans said, creating a tiles for the various zoom levels will be the best way to go and will achieve the best performance.

You will pay a performance penalty for using Flash with Google Maps and also risk violating Google's terms of use for the mapping API.

As an aside. I think the whole AJAX revolution has removed Flash from being the first choice in browser based user interfaces.

Rich

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

While on the subject of the Google Maps API there seems to be more clients wanting wanting their projects produced in this fashion. Thankfully many of us have tools such as Manifold to produce the KML files which gives us the advantage of time however when it comes to displaying the actual Google Maps API I have found that many clients want additions such as calculating distances & an access interface. Of course this means learning programs such as ASP.NET, (Manifold IMS runs on this), PHP, SQL, & MySQL. When running Google Maps API I should point out that if you are doing such a project you will need to two key codes; one for your own site to test the data & another one for the clients site, if you attempt to run Google Maps API with the code provided for your site on another the client will get an error.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Alisa1110

Alisa1110

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ukraine

If you want to add a map layer to Google Maps, you'll need to produce a map first, then create a raster version of it and tile it up. The tiling can be done in Global Mapper, there's various ways to produce the map itself. What software do you have available?
[/quote]

I make my map in ArcGIS 9.1 and then to convert to KML. But this file I can see in Google Earth, but I can't see in Google Maps. Maybe, my region doesn't registrate in Google Maps that's why I see these mistakes. Am I right?

Alisa1110

Alisa1110

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ukraine

Please I need advice!!! Help! :blink:
What programmе I have to use for creating own map as maps in Google Maps. I'm interested in plans of cities such as NY, LA. Please explaine me, maybe such maps are made in special programmes and I can't find it?
Thanks a lot :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Please I need advice!!! Help! :blink:
What programmе I have to use for creating own map as maps in Google Maps. I'm interested in plans of cities such as NY, LA. Please explaine me, maybe such maps are made in special programmes and I can't find it?
Thanks a lot :)

For producing the map itself, a lot of us here use Illustrator with MAPublisher, or ArcMap.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Anu

Actually vector data does display on Google Maps... You just can't display too much of it without causing performance issues in the browser.

As Hans said, creating a tiles for the various zoom levels will be the best way to go and will achieve the best performance.

You will pay a performance penalty for using Flash with Google Maps and also risk violating Google's terms of use for the mapping API.

As an aside. I think the whole AJAX revolution has removed Flash from being the first choice in browser based user interfaces.

Rich

One more issue, since Google Map converts the vector and displays it as an image, is there some means by which the underlying vector data can be captured. Well, just a wild thought..

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

Alisa1110

Alisa1110

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ukraine

I can show the problem :)
Map in Google Earth
[img]http://www.sharemania.ru/0111773
Map in Google Maps