• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

yuletide

yuletide

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Hey everyone, so I'm stuck. I've searched around and looked for an easy answer, but come up short.

Here's the problem: We're mapping the movement of Einsatzkommando 3 of Einsatzgruppe A as they moved through Lithuania in 1941. Our dataset consists of several points, each with a date, and death-toll (massacre). Symbology is classed point size for death count, and I was using color to indicate date, as an index of sorts, hoping to use it as a way to keep the date "attribute" intact when exporting to flash, so as to maintain the correct order.

My idea was to map the data in flash, having each point (or each date, since a few points fall on the same dates) get its own keyframe, and have some tween action to show the movement between points... or something? (Advice here is welcome.. any way to show movement and death toll would work)

I exported everything to illustrator, then pulled it into flash, but the order of all points got messed up! I tried converting each point to a symbol in illustrator, and putting them all in chronological order. Then pulling into flash still messed up the order, but at least the points all had identifying names... I still have to try to get it all lined up for the animation itself; I was thinking of trying to write a script to place the symbols as keyframes according to their identifiers?

Ideally, they should be laid out along the timeline with the distance between frames proportional to the actual time difference between the events represented (which is now indicated in the frame name)

I haven't really done anything in flash before, so I'm learning as I go in that department.
Ideas and suggestions/further questions welcome! Thanks in advance...

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I too am in the process of learning Flash. So i can't give any immediate solution to your problem, but i do know that Avenza recently has stated on CartoTalk that they will be releasing a plugin for Flash with regards to spatial data...You might have to wait a few more months for this though.

Theoretically, if the points are spatially projected, you should be able to just pop them in with this new plugin...but again I don't know all the details.

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

yuletide

yuletide

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Yeah... I saw that note too. Unfortunately, I need to finish this map by the end of April... :-)

Does no-one on this forum know flash? Help?

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

How many points are there?

If each point is in it's own layer in Illustrator and in the correct chronological order (layer one = starting point) then you could Export (File: Export: SWF) all of the Layers to Frames in the .swf options dialogue. This will export each point to it's own frame in Flash and maintain the correct layer order. Of course you will have to manually add empty frames and accompanying tweens between data points to create the effect of movement across the map...but this should give you a good starting point, and it beats adding one keyframe at a time. I would probably do this as a tweening motion along a path (the movement of Einsatzkommando 3 of Einsatzgruppe ) using symbols that change size and color at each point. Here's a basic tutorial: Motion Tweens Along a Path

There are a lot of different ways to do this....if you have a screenshot of the map we could probably offer some better suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->