Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Guys i am working on sample data for creating a map using GPRS data, which is going to be a challenge for me, its basically a new type of mapping, i have tons of gprs data for an unknown city, once i create a real map with this data, i shall come out with my experience of doing this map..

Cheers!!!
CADMAN

Edited by CADMAN, 19 April 2008 - 05:31 AM.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Guys i am working on sample data for creating a map using GPRS data, which is going to be a challenge for me, its basically a new type of mapping, i have tons of gprs data for an unknown city, once i create a real map with this data, i shall come out with my experience of doing this map..

You say GPRS, but don't you mean GPS? (GPRS is a cellphone communications protocoll).

Anyway, if you have the map finished, feel free to post it in the Map Gallery.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • India

You are absolutely correct, but GPRS data does have all the lat/long info for very 1 minute, by using this data i can plot the x,y co-ordinates for producing my road network. which is more accurate than any other data.
Anyway i shall be sharing my work with the forum

Cheers!!!
CADMAN

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

You are absolutely correct, but GPRS data does have all the lat/long info for very 1 minute, by using this data i can plot the x,y co-ordinates for producing my road network. which is more accurate than any other data.
Anyway i shall be sharing my work with the forum

Cheers!!!
CADMAN

If I remember correctly the GPRS data integration is done with GPS data and only then lat long fix are generated. Also an accuracy of a minute would give an error close to 2 KM in the region below 30 deg lat, so suitable for may be million or smaller scale maps only. I am eager to have a look at the map. At least it brings the locating technologies inside the four walls where GPS signal fails to reach. I had seen a demo during Location 2006 at Banglore but the accuracy talked about at that time was a few hundred metres not kilometres.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Interesting... how does one collect GPRS data? do you have a device that allows you to do that? or do you contact telecom companies for it?

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • India

Interesting... how does one collect GPRS data? do you have a device that allows you to do that? or do you contact telecom companies for it?

Its moving in a more interesting direction, than i thought off, most of the telecom service providers have a separate subscription for GPRS data, may be you need to contact the telecom service providers to know more about this. When we talk about accuracy definately there is a marginal error, but not in kilometers, but in meters, you might me knowing that in any planiemetric data rectification job, the standards tolerance is usual set to say 2-5mts, that way i think its a marginally accepted within tolerance.
But i am still working on that, when i succeed in my pilot i shall definately share my work with you guys.
If any further clarification needed please shootout your ?'s.

Cheers!!!
CADMAN

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

Duane

Duane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Its moving in a more interesting direction, than i thought off, most of the telecom service providers have a separate subscription for GPRS data, may be you need to contact the telecom service providers to know more about this. When we talk about accuracy definately there is a marginal error, but not in kilometers, but in meters, you might me knowing that in any planiemetric data rectification job, the standards tolerance is usual set to say 2-5mts, that way i think its a marginally accepted within tolerance.
But i am still working on that, when i succeed in my pilot i shall definately share my work with you guys.
If any further clarification needed please shootout your ?'s.

Cheers!!!
CADMAN

The following is the abstract from a recent article:

Global positioning system (GPS) technology offers a methodological advance over existing methods of assessing exposure to social and built environments in health studies. The usefulness of GPS-enabled cell phones with open-source software to track users in real-life situations was assessed by carrying phones through three standardized loops in Portland, Oregon. Overall, the cell phones recorded position in 62.8% of tests. Position acquisition varied by the environment in which the cell phone was carried, highest in open areas (83.5%) and lowest under cover (37.5%). The ability of the cell phones to track varied by mode of transportation. Tracking performance was adequate when moving by car (46.6%) or on foot (29.9%), but low on public transportation (3.8%). The GPS-enabled cell phone system showed adequate reliability under typical study conditions to track outdoor activity. Systems built on consumer electronics offer inexpensive and reliable technology for clinical/epidemiological location-based studies.

The article title is "Observing Outdoor Activity Using Global Positioning System-Enabled Cell Phones" and it may
be found in Springer's Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 5120, published in 2008. [Springer calls
this an edited book "Smart Homes and Health Telematics" but some libraries treat the series as a journal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->