1 reply to this topic

Paul Mastin

Paul Mastin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Albania

Hi All,

I have a quandary for you all to think about. I do not have much experience in the area of projections, however, I have done a lot of reading and experimenting. I am trying to take a fairly extensive set of shapefile data (roads, rivers, villages, etc) and reproject them to compare them to the data that I have taken from my GPS. I would simply like to test the accuracy of this data.

I have tried converting the coordinate system to WGS84 and leaving the data unprojected. However, when compared to the data taken with my GPS, it seems that all of the converted data is about 150-300 m off. The patterns seem accurate, however, everything seems shifted.

Before writing this off as someone else's mistake, I am curious if this is something that is simply inherent in reprojecting and transforming data. I have used several applications, all with the same result.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Paul,

If it's a fairly constant shift that you're seeing, that could very well be a projection/datum issue.See if you can find out some official specifications and parameters for the Albanian projection you're projecting to and compare it with the parameters used by various software packages.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->