Usually it goes like that for me at parties:
Last question, what is your favorite thing about cartography?
Mixing art and science, virtually visiting the world. It's also great at parties, trying to explain what I do
- What do you do?
- I'm a cartographer
- Euh, ok, and what do you do?
- I make maps!
- Maps!? Euh, ok, like road maps?
True story, this happened to me in America:
I met a friend of a friend and whilst chatting, she admitted that "When I heard you were a cartographer, I thought you took photos of cars"...
Other favorites are:
- But all maps have already been made, haven't they?
- Oh, so you go up in the plane and take the photos?
- Oh, so you know your way around everywhere then?