19 replies to this topic

One

One

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Uganda

Hi. I'm One and I just joined.

I joined so I could have an interview with a cartographer.

So, if you are a cartographer, could you please answer these questions?

What is your real name?

When did you start cartography?

What inspired you to become a cartographer?

Where did you go to college?

What degree do you have?

What was your first map of?

What company do you work for?

How many maps have you made?

Are you working on any maps right now?

Last question, what is your favorite thing about cartography?

Please answer in full sentences and will good details.

Thanks very much, Zach.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

What is your real name?
Hans van der Maarel

In school, 1995. I graduated, and started in the real world, in 1999.

I've always had an interest in maps and when I visited an open house of the college I ended up going to, I felt like I belonged there.

Hogeschool van Utrecht in Utrecht, The Netherlands.

What degree do you have?
B.Sc in Geo-Informatics (which is a mix of GIS, cartography and a bit of surveying and photogrammetry)

I can't remember, must have been some school project. The first non-school-project map was one that I produced at my first trainee post. That was a general overview map of The Netherlands.

I work for Red Geographics, which is my own company (self-employed)

Don't know, definately hundreds, maybe thousands. But production time can differ a lot for different maps, literally from seconds to weeks.

I will be after I finish answering your questions ;)

Mixing art and science, virtually visiting the world. It's also great at parties, trying to explain what I do :)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

What is your real name?
James Hines

2000 in school but had to wait till late 2007 to get any projects in the real world, in between 2004 & 2007 I had to work in this sweat shop called the grocery business, oh wait I still am :( but alas I'm working hard towards my goals rate now & I'm prepared to say good riddance to my welfare cheques ;)

my interests are astronomy, politics, geography, the military, history, mathematics, & science. It was logical to chose cartography, although I do peer in the sky & think of the future when one day when stellar cartography becomes our next step in evolution for our industry

The Centre of Geographic Sciences, (GOGS)

What degree do you have?
Cartography -- Digitial Mapping Diploma, I prefer to call it an Associates Degree

in school my first map was of Canada hand drawn from memory, in the real world a trial project called Brookside

The only way I can even get experience thank-you Nova Scotia for promoting a cheap labour force & high taxes; (There is almost no market for GIS/Cartography here), is by starting my own company called Annexmaps.com

one real client project, :rolleyes: but alas I'm trying, really trying, something will give eventually ;)

No! I'm busy writing proposals so I can make those maps. ;)

Statistics, without no doubt because simply I enjoy looking at the trends

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

I am a cartographer and spatial modeler. I enjoy the cartography, the modeling is my bread and butter.
What is your real name?
Philip Riggs
I started making maps when I was young, maybe 10 or so. I've always liked the maps that give a feel of the place, whether culture, physiography, etc.
Love of cultural geography and history. I had several of games that were based on maps, such as Napoleon's wars and World War II. I could spend hours looking at those maps and "imagineering". I was also lucky enough to have parents who took us on long road trip vacations, so I would spend hours making alternative routes all over the U.S. and imagining what they would be like. I remember one time I had us going through Illinois and Chicago to get to Denver, Colorado. Not realistic, but I wanted to see Chicago!
BBA at Northeastern State Oklahoma, MS and PhD at Colorado State University. But the GeoSpatial program is in the process of being killed off.
What degree do you have?
BBA, MS in Forestry (GeoSpatial Science), PhD in Forestry (GeoSpatial Science). But throughout my MS and PhD I worked in Environmental Health.
My parents back yard.
Colorado State University
Don't know.
Yes, a map of the Oklahoma Indian Territory for my brother, and a cultural geography map of France.
I love the Renaissance mixture of art and science. The art of how a map looks, the science of why things on the map are the way they are.
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

What is your real name?
Casey Greene

when I was 12 years old

It is in my blood

I have been to too many schools, and taken too many seminars/classes...

What degree do you have?

...too not have a degree

When I was 12 years old, I created 2 poster size maps of a fantasy world by taking data from numerous published small area maps and incorporation them into larger continent sized maps. The "feat" was accomplished by using colored pencils on 8.5' x 11' graph paper, and then taping all the individual papers together.

I am a freelancer/independent contractor who mostly works with Clear Focus Designs, based out of Missoula, Montana (united states).

a lot, but never enough.

I am working on a couple maps right now, but my most interesting is an artistic rendition of bike trails in Missoula.

Figuring out new designs and techniques to use in my maps.

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

What is your real name?
Charles Syrett

I started drawing maps at age 6. My first actual commission to create a custom map (unpaid!) was for my uncle, at age 12. (It was a map of a park system showing trails for his running club.) My first actual cartography job was in 1973.

It was an incident that occurred when I was five years old. My older sister tried to give me verbal directions to go to a store that was several blocks away. That didn't work, so she took me to an upstairs window ledge and drew me a map while pointing at the features outside, extending the map to what was out of range. This blew my little kid mind! It was all there: not only was I seeing my first map, but I was also observing the process of custom mapping unfolding before my very eyes. I fulfilled the errand using this hand-sketched map, and the rest is history.

Seneca College, Toronto.

What degree do you have?
College diploma.

I think it was the "Twelve Tribes of Israel", copied from a map in the back of a Bible, drawn in pencil at age six. Along with my twin brother (who also now runs a mapping company), I drew lots of maps in childhood, and we even formed a "hikers and cartographers club" with some other kids to map the many pathways in Toronto's valleys. We also had our own map collection, mostly consisting of maps we harvested from gas stations (back then gas stations gave them away for free), along with some others from various sources (I recall gloating over a beautifully-crafted map of Amsterdam).

I run a company called Map Graphics.

Many, many.

Many, many.

Whoa... where to start? First, there's the essential activity of cartography itself: creating a precise and clear representation of reality from a specific point of view and for a specific purpose. Second, the making of maps is often a process of puzzle-solving, which is enjoyable. Third, there's the end product, whether it's mine or someone else's -- I can (and do) spend hours looking at maps!

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

yes
What is your real name?
Nat Case
As a career, in 1991. For money, in 1989. For fun, somewhere in grade school.
I've always liked maps, and when the design and writing company I started with a college friend went bellyup, I examined what to do next, and came up with radio journalism or cartography. Given that I had some background in design and print production on one hand, and an occasional stutter on the other hand, it seemed like an easy choice. Reporting from Minneapolis, this is Nat Case for Carto-talk.
Carleton College
What degree do you have?
BA in Studio Art (Fine Art)
The first I was paid money for was a campus map for Carleton College. (sensing a theme here?)
Hedberg Maps, Inc.
Our company keeps a numbered jobs file, and we're up over 1100. But many of those were by other cartographers at the company , and many are reuses of existing maps. But many of those projects involve multiple maps. Short answer: hundreds, not including sketches on the back of napkins.
About 10 different projects are in process now, one way or another, and there are two of us making maps here, plus a few freelancers. Any given day I'm working on 2-5 projects.
1. All the little lines :)
2. The variety of kinds of work that go into a map; it keeps me on my toes.
3. It is a good conversation-starter at parties. My wife writes about finance and she can see people's eyes glaze over when she says what she does for work
4. The stuff I learn while making the maps. I can now tell you more about handmade tiles in Minneapolis or about Biotech in New England than I would really ever want to...
5. As a corollary to (4): Getting to know places. I don't do as much fieldwork personally as I used to, but it remains one of the favorite parts of my job.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

One

One

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Uganda

Wow. Thanks guys. I decided to take two. Charles and FLumphboy's interviews are the ones I am going to use.

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Excellent post One - I hope the good folks on this forum come out of hiding and post something.

What is your real name?
Jeff Clark

I'm not a full-blown cartographer, however, I've dabbled in it since the mid-1980s and have become more serious about it of late.

Mostly from working in the very visual field of earth sciences.

I've spent time in a couple of places - McGill University and later on at the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).

What degree do you have?
It's a wacky combo - a B.Sc. in Solid Earth Geophysics and an Advanced Technical Diploma in GIS.

I think it was in my first year at university (late bloomer compared to many others) - I took a geography course and ended up hand-drawing an oblique 3D view as part of a project - I had a great time in that class.

I'm a partner in a GIS consulting firm called Spatial Vision Group and I've got my own company called Clark Geomatics (where I work on things cartographic).

I'm guessing I've created several hundred maps in the course of working as a GIS consultant. I've self-published one map so far (quite the learning curve).

Yes - a few projects - a couple topographic / recreational maps and a thematic map.

That's tough - I think, to distill my thoughts, it's the combination of analysis, abstraction and detail that keeps me interesting in maps.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Yes

What is your real name?
Matthew Hampton

12 years ago

Looking at the superb local cartographic talent (Bill Loy, Stuart Allen, Dave Imus, Al Cardwell, etc.)

Lewis & Clark College, PSU

What degree do you have?
BS - Anthropology, MS - Geography

A Wildlife refuge

Oregon Metro Regional Government

Lots and lots

Lots and lots

I like the pretty colors, and the cognitive interplay between science and art :D

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

mlbostwick

mlbostwick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

What is your real name?
Martha Bostwick

School, 1998. As a career, 2000.

I have always loved maps. When I was small, my grandfather used to get out maps and have me figure out the routes I would take to get to different places.

-Saint Mary's University (Halifax, NS)
-Centre of Geographic Sciences (COGS) (Lawrencetown, NS)

What degree do you have?
-BA in Geography
-Diploma in Digital Cartography

I can't remember, I remember using crayons to draw maps when little.

Maps.com

Not sure, somewhere from hundreds to thousands.

Yes, mainly a series of about 50 for a travel guide, plus a half-dozen or so for other clients.

I love how much I learn about the world, the odd quirky details that I would otherwise never find out about. I also like the challenge of interpreting someone else's ideas, and coming up with an interesting, engaging product.

J Shively

J Shively

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

What is your real name?
J. Shively

Education: 1994
Career: 1999

As far back as I can remember, I've always enjoyed reading maps. On family vacations, which were always by car, I volunteered to be the navigator. This had two benefits: 1) I always knew when the next rest stop was going to be and; 2) I got to sit up front and had a better view of the scenery we drove past.

University of Wyoming (Laramie, WY)
Weber State University (Ogden, UT) Assoc. of Science
Central Michigan University (Mt. Pleasant, MI) Bachelor of Science

What degree do you have?
Bachelor of Science - Major: Geography, Minor: Earth Science

First map in college would have been a map of Central America as part of a class project. When I first started on my career path in college, we were taught how to create maps by hand, scribing roads, rivers, etc. on mylar film (with some orange coating.) Computer cartography was not part of the curriculum at Weber State back then.

State of Michigan.

Thousands, many as part of map series.

No, but always ready and willing.

Seeing the finished product after many hours of work.

Brian Moran

Brian Moran

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • United States

What is your real name?
Brian Moran

In school, 1996. As a job, 1998.

Always loved maps. I was fascinated by weather as a kid, but in college realized it was the spatial aspect of weather I loved, not the atmospheric physics part. I was also inspired by my cartography professor in college.

Penn State, BS in geography
Oregon State, GIS Cert.

What degree do you have?
See above

When I was 8 or so I used to draw maps of the paths thunderstorms would follow past my house in the summer, according to the warnings on the radio and the direction from which the thunder would come/go.

Sanborn Map Co.-- on-site contractor to the Forest Service

Don't really know. Lately I've been making fewer, but bigger, maps.

I've been working on the same map for the last 6 months-- the Inyo Nat'l Forest. Also working on some topo atlases.

Making maps is the next-best thing to actually being out there exploring the world, and sometimes its just as good-- seeing the variables of the earth's surface represented on a map and then comparing them to the real thing never gets old for me.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

What is your real name?
Kannan Krish

12years ago

Wanted to make maps of my own which in deed will be used by many.

St.Jospephs College

What degree do you have?
Bachelor of Science - IT

A local area layout

A Mapping company (Name ?)

Many,Many and more

Yep

That crazy colors that fill in the polygon makes anyone to look at them, so i am

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Mixing art and science, virtually visiting the world. It's also great at parties, trying to explain what I do :)

Usually it goes like that for me at parties:

- What do you do?
- I'm a cartographer

- Euh, ok, and what do you do?
- I make maps!

- Maps!? Euh, ok, like road maps?
- :angry: ...

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->