12 replies to this topic

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

Here is! This is map is a cartography bible!!!

Attached is the map.

The image limit size is 1MB, so I had to reduce the image and quality :( But send me a email and I will reply with the big one and some related articles.

PS: I'm sharing this map for academic purposes only. If the moderator of this forum or anyone thinks I should withdraw this topic, I gently will do it.

http://shop.national...6/3887/172.html

Edited by frax, 16 April 2008 - 01:56 AM.
admin - removed attachment and added link to the NGS site instead

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

That's the National Geographic Mt. Everest map from 1988. It's always been one of my favorite maps. In that issue of magazine there was a photo of one of the cartographers using a Paasche AB airbrush to render the relief shading. No DEMs used on this one! B)

I'm not aware of Imhof being directly involved. Where did you get that information?

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Here is! This is map is a cartography bible!!! Maded by Imhof and others!

Attached is the map.

The image limit size is 1MB, so I had to reduce the image and quality :( But send me a email and I will reply with the big one and some related articles.

PS: I'm sharing this map for academic purposes only. If the moderator of this forum or anyone thinks I should withdraw this topic, I gently will do it.

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

The relief technique on these maps are incredible!
I'd love to try to replicate this style with an airbrush,
it makes me appreciate the power of our software.
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

What a strange coincidence - I just bought the Everest 1988 map from the National Geographic website last Friday - $15 and it's yours.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

It's a gorgeous piece. I have it framed in my office at which I gaze longingly remembering when I visited the area in 1991. The attention to detail is remarkable. They even mapped almost every piece of rubble!

There were a great many cartographers who laid a hand on it - but I didn't see any reference to Imhof in the credits. It has some of the best 'cliff cartography' I have seen.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

Thats true... Imhof don't worked on this map. I'm sorry about this mistake. I will edit the topic.

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

As cartographers, should we not be hesitant on sharing this type of information?
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Raphael - I hope you don't mind, but I removed the attachment and added a link to the NGS site instead - click "view larger" there, and one can browse the map in very high detail using a flash/zoomify browser.

(there is no such thing as "academic use" on CartoTalk, and it is available in high detail on the NGS website)

:)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

Raphael - I hope you don't mind, but I removed the attachment and added a link to the NGS site instead - click "view larger" there, and one can browse the map in very high detail using a flash/zoomify browser.

(there is no such thing as "academic use" on CartoTalk, and it is available in high detail on the NGS website)

:)

OK!

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

What a strange coincidence - I just bought the Everest 1988 map from the National Geographic website last Friday - $15 and it's yours.

Yeaph... I wanna buy the original too, but the post tax to Brazil is near 2 times the map value... so I will wait a little, to buy together other things on NatGeo, to "save" the tax.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

For anybody who is going to be in London at any time, visit the Stanfords map store (12-14 Long Acre, just off Leicester Square). They've got a *huge* print of this map covering the floor upstairs. There's a National Geographic map of the world on the ground floor and a London A to Z in the basement.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

For anybody who is going to be in London at any time, visit the Stanfords map store (12-14 Long Acre, just off Leicester Square). They've got a *huge* print of this map covering the floor upstairs. There's a National Geographic map of the world on the ground floor and a London A to Z in the basement.

There was a similar thing in Canada (British Columbia)... they are rebuilding in a airport... take a look on http://www.challengermap.org/

Posted Image

What is BC's Challenger Map?

The Challenger Map of British Columbia is a monumental, 80-by-76 foot topographic map of the province. It features all of B.C.'s mountains, lakes, rivers and valleys in exact-scaled topographical detail.

The Guinness Book of Records cites the Challenger relief map as the largest in the world. The map in its entirety occupies 6,080 feet square feet of space.

The Challenger Map is a unique heritage treasure and an incredible piece of B.C. history. Given its age, popularity and historical character, the map is an important artistic and cultural artifact of the Province.

Details of the Challenger Map

The Challenger Map is topographic, with mountains represented by layers of ¼ inch plywood cut to contours at a vertical scale of ¼" to 250 feet. It is made up of:

- 196 separate plywood panels, (180 sections measuring 4'x8' and 16 sections measuring 4'x4') fixed onto a sub-structure of posts and beams that originally raised the map to a height of 5 feet above basement level and provided room for utilities under the map.

- 130 delicate topographic sheets, ranging from 2 inches to 18 inches in height and weighing between 50 and 180 Ibs. Most of the panels (90%) are less than 12 inches in height.

- Approximately 52 sections of 4'x8" plywood and 7 sections of 4'x4' plywood, which were used for the large ocean and text areas—these are not considered to be part of the map per se, and, as they can provide informative signage, they will be updated in re-exhibition of the map.

In all, 986,000 pieces of plywood, hand-cut, make up the map structure.

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Holy crap...that's a big map.

Does it have any 3D depth to it.

-Casey Greene
cbgreene17[at]yahoo
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association