3 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I've just come across this piece of software called MapCreator. I'm wondering if anyone in the forum has had any experience using it. From the description it sounds like it is set up to specifically run off Navteq data and I am curious as to whether or not you can use your own data sources with it. and also how flexible and efficient it is as a tool for creating street and road maps.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've just come across this piece of software called MapCreator. I'm wondering if anyone in the forum has had any experience using it. From the description it sounds like it is set up to specifically run off Navteq data and I am curious as to whether or not you can use your own data sources with it. and also how flexible and efficient it is as a tool for creating street and road maps.

Ah...

:rolleyes:

I've tried to get some information from them (Falk, pretty much the biggest map-publishing company here in The Netherlands) such as pricing and licensing options. Didn't really get a good answer from them to be honest (so I have *no* idea what it costs).

I did hear, 2nd hand, that it's mainly a maps-on-demand thing. You specify the area of interest and the scale, pick one of a few standard styles and you get a map (raster or flattened EPS) according to those specs in return. That doesn't bode well for adding custom data and it raises some questions about data ownership as well.

I have a contact who's actively working with this, will see if I can get some information from them.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

I've met with them last September. You can use your own shapefile data. However, if I recall correctly, processing is done by them; you set up your design template and send your data to them. They send back the finished files.

patrickvhoeijen

patrickvhoeijen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello all,

My name is Patrick van Hoeijen. I am working for the company MapCreator in the Netherlands. (note: Falkplan is a separate and independent company)
I didn't see these outdated posts before yesterday. But I want to give you some information about our MapCreator cartographic production suite (also see mapcreator.eu).

MapCreator is a very strong and fast and easy to use software package that can be used to produce different kind of maps like street maps, street atlases and road maps. These products can be produced within minutes/hours. You can use your own house style MapStyle, that means colors, line widths, fonts, icons etc. that you are used to, so not only default standard MapStyles are available! The software works with Navteq data, Navteq geographical data covers a large part of the world. Also own data can be integrated.

If you want to have more information please contact us; it is also possible to schedule a live online demonstration using Web-ex.

Regards,

Patrick van Hoeijen,
MapCreator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->