3 replies to this topic

vhramos

vhramos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Guatemala

I would like to hear some comments about Corel Draw and the integration of this soft in cartographic work flows with ESRI products. Is anyone using it as an alternative to AI? How about Manifold + Corel Draw? Thanks in advance to all.

VHR
Guatemala

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I used CorelDraw 9 & 11 during my school years at COGS very extensively. The pen tool in Illy is to the Bezier tool in CorelDraw but ultimately if you want to have the eventual functionality of MaPublisher you better make the switch. I know Corel is far more cheaper then Adobe but trust me when I say that although CorelDraw makes good products I would say Adobe has more to offer & is worth every cent. I have noticed a huge difference, Corel crashes a lot more then Illustrator.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

How about Manifold + Corel Draw? Thanks in advance to all.

If you're not using MapPublisher the workflow is pretty much the same: export to .ai or .pdf --> import the file to DRAW / Illy and then do with the vector wahtever you want to ;). Scripting all the common tasks helps a lot...

Here you'llfind some examples of manifold2DRAW 'approach' : http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=2480

Dom
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I used CorelDraw 9 & 11 during my school years at COGS very extensively. The pen tool in Illy is to the Bezier tool in CorelDraw but ultimately if you want to have the eventual functionality of MaPublisher you better make the switch. I know Corel is far more cheaper then Adobe but trust me when I say that although CorelDraw makes good products I would say Adobe has more to offer & is worth every cent. I have noticed a huge difference, Corel crashes a lot more then Illustrator.

I used CorelDraw at Univ. of Toronto and at that time, I believe it was Version 10. When I was at SSFC, we used Illustrator and MAPublisher exclusively. To this day, I only use ArcGIS and Illustrator (and Photoshop).

In practice, it's probably close to the same thing since CorelDraw and Illustrator are competing products. So as long as you can convert exported AI files from your GIS software, then CorelDraw will probably do just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->