burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

We have been using Layer (Lyr) files to set up scale dependent dynamic maps in our Division but would like to start using Cartographic Representation in Arc 9.2. I am assuming that representation would work exactly like lyr files except the symbology is stored directly in the Geodatabase. With that being said, I assume we could set different display rules based on different scale levels. That way, when a user loads a layer from the geodatabase the layer is properly symbolized. As a user then zooms in to more detail, the symbology would change based on the new scale rule previously set up. Am I incorrect in assuming this can be done? I did a test on one layer by converting the symbolgy to representation. When I loaded the layer back into ArcMap, it defaulted to its original symbology based on subtypes. Does anyone have any experience or advise in this area?

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Zorko

Zorko

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • New Zealand

Bruce,

You are almost there with idea of using layer files. That is the best way to use same symbology in different map documents.

When you convert symbology to representation it gets stored in database and like you have pointed out it will default to using subtype unless you have created a layer file that is using representation.

Scale dependant representations - you will have to plan and set up appropriate number of representations (not rules). One can easily create representation for 1:10000, 1:25000 and 1:50000. This can be than used for layer files including the scale dependency, in this case 3 separate layer files that you add in ArcMap and then create group layer.

Hope this helps.

Zorko

We have been using Layer (Lyr) files to set up scale dependent dynamic maps in our Division but would like to start using Cartographic Representation in Arc 9.2. I am assuming that representation would work exactly like lyr files except the symbology is stored directly in the Geodatabase. With that being said, I assume we could set different display rules based on different scale levels. That way, when a user loads a layer from the geodatabase the layer is properly symbolized. As a user then zooms in to more detail, the symbology would change based on the new scale rule previously set up. Am I incorrect in assuming this can be done? I did a test on one layer by converting the symbolgy to representation. When I loaded the layer back into ArcMap, it defaulted to its original symbology based on subtypes. Does anyone have any experience or advise in this area?

Thanks in advance

Bruce

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Zorko

So at the end of the day I still need to use Layer files and set the scale dependencies within the Lyr? I guess its getting one step closer to database driven cartography.

Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->