7 replies to this topic

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

One of my clients is a yellow pages directory publisher in a small city in the Midwest USA. We've been doing their paper maps for years, and he says all the local delivery services choose them over all the other available maps. Now he's expanding to an online directory that uses Google Maps, which he's found to be grievously out-of-date compared with ours. Google told him he can have more up-to-date streets available on his site for "only" an extra $10,000.00. Now he's asking me whether it's possible (technically) to add new streets ourselves to Google maps while continuing to use the rest of its functionality. This is not an area I'm very familiar with. Any suggestions?

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

One of my clients is a yellow pages directory publisher in a small city in the Midwest USA. We've been doing their paper maps for years, and he says all the local delivery services choose them over all the other available maps. Now he's expanding to an online directory that uses Google Maps, which he's found to be grievously out-of-date compared with ours. Google told him he can have more up-to-date streets available on his site for "only" an extra $10,000.00. Now he's asking me whether it's possible (technically) to add new streets ourselves to Google maps while continuing to use the rest of its functionality. This is not an area I'm very familiar with. Any suggestions?

You could make your own map of the city and export that as a Google Maps tileset. Global Mapper can easily do this. This will effectively create a new layer within Google Maps (obviously only on your client's website) with that map.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

The rivers, streams, and watersheds were added to the following sites using a method similar to what Hans describes above:

http://waterquality.lcra.org
http://crwn.lcra.org

I used ArcGIS server to make the tiles.

Rich

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Do you know whether or not Manifold can do this?

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

You could make your own map of the city and export that as a Google Maps tileset. Global Mapper can easily do this. This will effectively create a new layer within Google Maps (obviously only on your client's website) with that map.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Netherlands

Do you know whether or not Manifold can do this?

Not as far as I know, and a quick search of the Manifold forums doesn't show up anything. However, I can really recommend Global Mapper for this (less than $300, so I doubt it's going to be a big budget drain).
Red Geographics

Dale Sanderson

Dale Sanderson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • United States

...Google told him he can have more up-to-date streets available on his site for "only" an extra $10,000.00...

That's an interesting statement. I wonder if that means Google API's serve TeleAtlas map data by default, but for an extra $10k they'll upgrade you to Navteq data? (If so, then my guess is your client still wouldn't be satisfied with the currentness of the streets. In general I've found Navteq is a little more accurate than TeleAtlas [at least in the US], but they can still be a few years behind, and even more than that in smaller towns.)
Dale Sanderson
professionally: cartographics manager for Dex One
personally: cartophile and road-geek (my website)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Netherlands

That's an interesting statement. I wonder if that means Google API's serve TeleAtlas map data by default, but for an extra $10k they'll upgrade you to Navteq data? (If so, then my guess is your client still wouldn't be satisfied with the currentness of the streets. In general I've found Navteq is a little more accurate than TeleAtlas [at least in the US], but they can still be a few years behind, and even more than that in smaller towns.)

It does make you wonder what their plan is. If there is no more reliable/accurate data available, how will they handle that? Go out with GPS receivers and map the town themselves?
Red Geographics

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

...Google told him he can have more up-to-date streets available on his site for "only" an extra $10,000.00...

Its need of todays mapping biz, that each one of our customer wants their map to be in google, as already suggested by the forum, you can add up your own street in your machine, but remember what ever addition that you are doing will not make any impact on the Google server, unless you try to share your data, if not what ever updates that you do on the google earth will be stored and is viewable in your machine only... its more of a static map, which can't be viewed by someone else.

Hope my answer helps a bit

Regards,
GISGURU

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->