Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Hi All,

I'm in the very early stages of compiling information / data to create a population density map of Canada. I've been to the Stats Canada site and checked out the Census 2006 products for - all the data is online, however, to obtain data for the "Population and Dwelling Counts" from Stats Can (data found at Stats Can - Pop & Dwelling Counts, one has to access and download approx. 210 web pages. This is incredibly cumbersome. Has anyone out there figured out a better way to access the data?

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

I assume that you could buy the data . . . . it might be a little expensive but it will save you time!

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I assume that you could buy the data . . . . it might be a little expensive but it will save you time!

I worked 4 years ago with the 2001 data and they where available in Beyond 20/20's .ivt format. You could try and find it for the 2006 data...

The easiest thing may be to contact them directly... infostats@statcan.ca

You may also try to find data by Dissemination Areas or better by Dissemination Blocks which are smaller units than municipalities and will give you a more detailed analysis...

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Gents - Thanks for your suggestions.

After a little more searching of the obtuse StatsCan pages, I managed to find 2006 data - just requires a little post-processing. StatsCan does indeed provide population data by province for the country - I can download the data that way. They also provide boundary files (geometry) for the census subdivisions (municipalities - that's as detailed as I need) and provinces. So, from there, I just need to perform a few table joins and I'm good to go.

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->