Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Hi All,

Has anyone experience with inserting an AI object in an ArcMap layout? In arcmap>insert>object it lists AIv12 files as an option, but it just doesn't seem to work. Says something like 'failed to create object; make sure object is entered in the sys registry.."

figured there a good group of AI and AM users around here who might hold the keys to this one...

I'd like to use our standard north arrow/scale bar scheme for a quick map series w/o coming over to AI; and i know there are other routes, but everything is already in Illy so that would definitely be the most direct.

thanks, rob

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

The best way I've found to do what you describe is to export out of Illustrator as an emf file then use insert > picture.

The emf export is a little coarse- best to blow it up in Illustrator then scale the size back down in ArcMap.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

The best way I've found to do what you describe is to export out of Illustrator as an emf file then use insert > picture.

The emf export is a little coarse- best to blow it up in Illustrator then scale the size back down in ArcMap.

Thanks Paul. That's ed zachary what i ended up doing; however the emf comes in at it's own size, so you have to carefully get it back to the correct scale. I was hoping the AI option would come in at the right size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->