5 replies to this topic

vartman

vartman

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Hey folks.

My name is Vincent. I just signed up a couple of weeks ago, but I've been browsing the site for a few months now. I'll be graduating from the University of Oregon with a degree in Geography in June, and I've got a previous degree in history (browsing the site, it seems like quite a few people have that combination...)

I'm particularly interested in finding ways to use GIS as a tool in historical research, and I just finished doing a project for a cartography course that mapped the decline of the Ottoman Empire from the late 18th through the early 20th Centuries, pulling together data from historical maps chiefly found at the Perry-Castaneda archive at UTexas as well as some interesting data from the Correlates of War Project. Eventually, I'd like to attend graduate school and work on this subject, but in the shorter-term, I'll likely be looking for a cartography or GIS job once I graduate from school.

I've got a copy of "Past Time, Past Place", published by ESRI, and I've also read Ian Gregory's "A Place in History", both of which deal with the use of GIS in the historical field. Is anyone aware of any other good resources on the subject (or know of anyone in academia who is working in this particular field)?

In any case, this site is a great resource, and I've found a wealth of information here already.

Regards,

Vincent.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Welcome to cartotalk, and good luck with your career!

Care to share any of the maps from your school project?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

My name is Vincent. I just signed up a couple of weeks ago, but I've been browsing the site for a few months now. I'll be graduating from the University of Oregon with a degree in Geography in June, and I've got a previous degree in history (browsing the site, it seems like quite a few people have that combination...)

Hi fellow historian/GISer

We are now a lot with that combination, but what a combination! ;) I have a B.A. and a Master in Medieval History and a certificate (it's a one year undergraduate program in Quebec) in GIS and there's not a lot of stuff out there... which may be a good thing since it means more job for us :P

Here's some references that comes to mind:

TimeMap
The Historical GIS Research Network
National Historical Geographic Information System (NHGIS)
Great Britain Historical Geographical Information System (GBHGIS)
China Historical GIS
Belgian Historical GIS
A Guide to Using GIS in Historical Research (that may be the same as Gregory's A place in History)
GIS in History Studies
Strasbourg 1548-2000 (this one's in French)
There's even a Wikipedia page on Historical GIS that may benefit of an update and additions.

As for the litterature, there's:
Ott, T. and Swiaczny, F.: Time-integrative GIS. Management and analysis of spatio-temporal data, 2001 Berlin / Heidelberg / New York: Springer

and a special issue of the journal Social Science History (24/3, Fall 2000)

I had few chances to be both an historian and a cartographer by making historical maps for a publisher, buy that's all. I still hope though! ;)

Good luck and welcome to Cartotalk!

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

It's good to see another Duck here. I got my MA from UO in 1996, studying with Bill Loy & Jim Meacham (though my thesis was a fluvial geomorph project with Pat McDowell). While I don't have a background in history, my previous degree is in Fine Arts (was almost Art History).

Either way, cartography is enriched when we bring other disciplines to the table. Welcome aboard.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

vartman

vartman

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Hey folks,

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely have to check into some of those references that FrancoisGoulet posted.

If you go to: www.uoregon.edu/~vartman.decline.pdf you can see the results of my big Ottoman project last quarter. Something is funky about that PDF file, though, and even though it's only about 1.5 megs, it takes a ridiculously long time to open and render. I'm not sure why (someone suggested that the drop shadows on some of the features might be the culprits, so I may go back and fix those so the PDF isn't such a hassle).

I'm pretty proud of the map and quite satisfied with the way it eventually came out, but any critiques would be welcome!

loximuthal: I was lucky enough to be able to take advanced cartography from Dr. Meacham, and it was one of the best classes I've taken. I'm hoping to find a student job at the Info-Graphics lab, but we'll see. In the meantime, I've been trying to find work at places in Portland or Seattle, but haven't had a ridiculous amount of luck. Seems like the bulk of the GIS/cartography jobs I see are over in Washington D.C./Virginia/Maryland.

Regards,

Vincent.

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • United States

Seems like the bulk of the GIS/cartography jobs I see are over in Washington D.C./Virginia/Maryland.

Well, that's where I ended up. The Census Bureau HQ is in Suitland, MD. Also did a stint with the USGS in Woods Hole, MA. A great location, but not they don't get a lot of support from the powers that set budgets.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->