• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

pss

pss

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Australia

I have been using Illustrator CS3 on Windows XP with the MaPublisher plug-in and producing a number of new map files since Nov '07.
I have had a number of problems which I have solved but I have been editing a map file since Dec '07 on a regular basis with edits coming via the field. I have had no problems to date and last saved the file a week ago.

I have now received further edits and I can make these, BUT when I try to save the latest edits Illustrator crashes. I tried a "Save As..." but the same thing happens.

Has anybody experienced this??

I have forwarded the file onto another collegue who works on a Mac and he has no problems editing and saving the file.

:angry:

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I've recently moved up to CS3 with MP 7.6 on a Mac (10.5.2) and have occasionally encountered the same problem. I can't say whether it's related to MAPublisher or not. Typically I do a save as each day with the new date in the file name so if I screw up I can go back day by day. What I have found to work for this problem is to open the file first thing in the morning and before doing anything, immediately Save as with the new date in the name. For the remainder of the day the file will save just fine, although I hold my breath a lot when hitting save later on. Additionally I do not check the PDF compatibility box so as to reduce save time and file size.
Rick Dey

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

What happens if you try and save the file as an editable PDF? I've had problem-files that I couldnt save in .ai but could save as PDF. Do you have any large rasters, effects or filters in the document? If so, I'd remove them and try the save again. I'd remove any unnecessary attribute fields as well. Lighten the file if you can.

pss

pss

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Australia

Thanks for your reply Rick.

I have also upgraded to MP7.6 on the PC and I have tried opening the file first thing and used "Save As" but CS3 immediately crashes. I too am holding my breath on new files waiting for this to happen on the next file. I have turned off the PDF Compatability as well as the Compression option and also removed Version Cue.
I have noted that a lot of people on the Adobe Forum are having Save file problems but Adobe doesn't seem to be doing anything about it from 6 months ago.

I am a Freehand User as well and never experienced this problem.

Does anybody from Adobe read this site - if so, Do Something NOW!!

:(

I've recently moved up to CS3 with MP 7.6 on a Mac (10.5.2) and have occasionally encountered the same problem. I can't say whether it's related to MAPublisher or not. Typically I do a save as each day with the new date in the file name so if I screw up I can go back day by day. What I have found to work for this problem is to open the file first thing in the morning and before doing anything, immediately Save as with the new date in the name. For the remainder of the day the file will save just fine, although I hold my breath a lot when hitting save later on. Additionally I do not check the PDF compatibility box so as to reduce save time and file size.

avz

avz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for your reply Rick.

I have also upgraded to MP7.6 on the PC and I have tried opening the file first thing and used "Save As" but CS3 immediately crashes. I too am holding my breath on new files waiting for this to happen on the next file. I have turned off the PDF Compatability as well as the Compression option and also removed Version Cue.
I have noted that a lot of people on the Adobe Forum are having Save file problems but Adobe doesn't seem to be doing anything about it from 6 months ago.

I am a Freehand User as well and never experienced this problem.

Does anybody from Adobe read this site - if so, Do Something NOW!!

:(

Please note that there have been large numbers of reports on the Adobe forum concerning "Save/Save As" issues with non MAPublisher related files. With that in mind however there have been a couple of occasions where a save issue was determined to be the result of live art generated by MAPublisher. As a suggestion if your document contains MAPublisher generated grids and/or scalebars try expanding them via the Object->Expand option in Illustrator then resaving the file via "Save As."

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

As the last poster put it, there have been large numbers of reports on the Adobe forums concerning "Save/Save As" issues in general, even with non-MAPublisher related files. This appears to be a widely know issue and generally speaking is possibly one of those fundamental problems with Illustrator that has become somewhat exacerbated as the product has grown and artwork files have become more complex. Nonetheless, however, if there is any possibility that it is related to MAPublisher we'd like to know about it and obviously fix it. So, if you would like, please contact Avenza support at support@avenza.com and send in your file. We'll have a look and see if it has anything to do with what we do in Illustrator and at the very least, we'll see if we can fix your file.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

I had this happen to me. Turned out that Illy (CS3) didnt like some services I had running in XP. Not sure what services they were, as I just turned off all non-Windows services (by going into msconfig). I have since switched positions and no longer use Illy/MP. Try turning off all non-essential startup services, then try a Save As. Then start slowly turning services back on and trying Save As (assuming this is the problem) until you find the culprit service. HTH.

chad!

pss

pss

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Australia

Thanks Ted.

Yesterday I solved my problem.

I started deleting a single layer at a time and then tried to save the file. After several trial deletions I found a layer that was the problem.

I discovered the layer I called "Scalebar" was the layer that was the problem - this is the layer I placed my MaPublisher generated scalebar on. As soon as I deleted it I was able to Save my file - is this what Mapublisher calls "Live Art" ??? I also note that contributor AVZ from Canada yesterday also pointed this out as a possible problem.

:D :D :D

As the last poster put it, there have been large numbers of reports on the Adobe forums concerning "Save/Save As" issues in general, even with non-MAPublisher related files. This appears to be a widely know issue and generally speaking is possibly one of those fundamental problems with Illustrator that has become somewhat exacerbated as the product has grown and artwork files have become more complex. Nonetheless, however, if there is any possibility that it is related to MAPublisher we'd like to know about it and obviously fix it. So, if you would like, please contact Avenza support at support@avenza.com and send in your file. We'll have a look and see if it has anything to do with what we do in Illustrator and at the very least, we'll see if we can fix your file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->