ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hey,
I'm trying to create a feature linked annotation in a personal geodatabase in ArcMap 9.2 (point feature class). When I convert the labels to annotation, the dialogue runs and the annotation class along with it's relationship appear in Arc Catalogue. However, when I open the resulting annoation layer, the table is empty and there are no features visible on the map. Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? This is the only label layer on the map so there are no conflicts. I have all the label priorities set "low"... and I'm creating annotation for "All features". I also tried converting the labels "In the Map" and the results were the same. This is normally a fairly straighforward process and I have already created other feature linked annotations in the same database with no problems, but not in the same Feature Dataset. So maybe the problem is with the Feature Dataset? Anyone else experience this type of thing before?

Update: I created a new document, added the same feature class and created a new feature linked annoation layer without any problems. Not sure what that means...? I was also able to add that annotation to the original document and it looks and functions perfectly, linking and all.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Update: I created a new document, added the same feature class and created a new feature linked annoation layer without any problems. Not sure what that means...? I was also able to add that annotation to the original document and it looks and functions perfectly, linking and all.

If you find why, I'd like to know! :)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Francois,
Solved! I was trying to create annotation in area that was outside of the data frame extent. Duh. If you go to the data frame properties by right clicking on the data frame name... at the bottom of the data frame tab you will see the heading "Extent Used By Full Extent Command" followed by a pair of check boxes. One box (Default) sets the extent based on all of the layers in the data frame; the other box lets you specify either the current visible extent, or an outline of one of the features, or you can specify a custom extent numerically. I was using a custom extent (not sure how it got set....user error I'm sure). All I had to do was set the extents back to the default. Erin

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->