• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I learn today that Canada has recognized the independence of Kosovo. I really (really) don't want to start a political debate, but do you know where I could find GIS data (~ 1:15,000,000) of Kosovo so I could add it to my maps if necessary? The way we work here is once it's approved by the government, we have to put it on the map!

I had to update about 120 world maps when Montenegro became independent (and it was quite easy since Data&Maps 2006 admin layer had it) and this time, I want to be prepared! ;)

Thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I learn today that Canada has recognized the independence of Kosovo. I really (really) don't want to start a political debate, but do you know where I could find GIS data (~ 1:15,000,000) of Kosovo so I could add it to my maps if necessary? The way we work here is once it's approved by the government, we have to put it on the map!

Did you find anything yet? I'm looking for it as well...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Can't you find it in e.g. VMAP? (as a provincial boundary)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Nah! Didn't find anything satisfying yet.

I have vMap data as well as administrative data from ESRI's Data & Maps 2006, but they are of a larger scale.

I a bit of a perfectionist and I don't like to mix data. I mean, we often have to do it, putting different layer of different scale on the same map, but for something as important to me for my job as a base layer of country boundaries, I just don't like it...

--

Oh well! I could have delete the beginning of my message, but as I was writing it, I decide to do it myself. So I put it on my site here.

I did it in MAPublisher and ArcMap. I divided Serbia's territory with Kosovo boundaries at a 1:15,000,000ish scale and I think it looks good.

Originally, I had to "separate" territories from their sovereign countries and give them a unique ID so, since the independence of Kosovo hasn't been approved yet by the UN, Kosovo is still a "territory" of Serbia, but you could change it in two mouse clicks ;) (I don't want to interfere in International Affairs :P )

Hope you'll find it usefull!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Netherlands

Oh well! I could have delete the beginning of my message, but as I was writing it, I decide to do it myself. So I put it on my site here.

I did it in MAPublisher and ArcMap. I divided Serbia's territory with Kosovo boundaries at a 1:15,000,000ish scale and I think it looks good.

Originally, I had to "separate" territories from their sovereign countries and give them a unique ID so, since the independence of Kosovo hasn't been approved yet by the UN, Kosovo is still a "territory" of Serbia, but you could change it in two mouse clicks ;) (I don't want to interfere in International Affairs :P )

Hope you'll find it usefull!

Thanks! That's very useful. But there's one comment I'd like to make. I know I'm nitpicky, but... you're showing The Netherlands with 2 'polders' in the IJsselmeer. But the western one, the 'Markerwaard' was never actually reclaimed. Plans for that were dropped in the 80s.
Red Geographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Thanks! That's very useful. But there's one comment I'd like to make. I know I'm nitpicky, but... you're showing The Netherlands with 2 'polders' in the IJsselmeer. But the western one, the 'Markerwaard' was never actually reclaimed. Plans for that were dropped in the 80s.

Consider it done! (oh yeah, I'm that fast! :P ) You can download the new version if you don't want to delete it yourself.

I didn't know that. Maybe you should write to ESRI... The original data came from the Data & Maps 2005 which I have updated since then...

Thanks!

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Thanks to you Hans, I have deleted the Markerwaard polder from our large scale map of Europe... I can't delete if from 120 small scale maps, but the most obvious has been corrected. Thanks! :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks to you Hans, I have deleted the Markerwaard polder from our large scale map of Europe... I can't delete if from 120 small scale maps, but the most obvious has been corrected. Thanks! :)

Excellent :)

It used to be shown on maps as "to be reclaimed", but the plans for it were put on indefinite hold in the late 80s or so. There is, however, a dam that was supposed to be the northern edge of it, all the way across the IJsselmeer. See here (The N302 from Lelystad to Enhuizen)
Red Geographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Excellent :)

It used to be shown on maps as "to be reclaimed", but the plans for it were put on indefinite hold in the late 80s or so. There is, however, a dam that was supposed to be the northern edge of it, all the way across the IJsselmeer. See here (The N302 from Lelystad to Enhuizen)

Thanks! I still have to delete it though :P Oh my God! I'm God, I erase land! B) (and now, I'm an heretic for self-proclaiming me God ;) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->