16 replies to this topic

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I’m getting closer to the final product! I am really pleased with the way the Patterson data turned out. I am trying to display an abundance of information in a tidy manner, yet still keep it esthetically pleasing.

here is my current revision
Posted Image

I find the top “intro” and title look a little out of place, I was looking for a different font for the main title, but couldn’t find anything clean enough. I think I'm going to stick with the "an endangered climate", although I hear what you are saying frax.

Also, I will still be importing the sea ice extents from ArcMap as a shape file. I have been looking around the web for a technique I could apply to the polygon that would make it look a little more like ice, rather then just a blob of white in the middle of my map. A simple gradient might not cut it in this case. Any suggestions on that end would be much appreciated!

Any layout or cartographic suggestions are more then welcome :)
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Greg,

I've taken the liberty of splitting your post from the original thread, into the Map Gallery section.

I haven't really had a chance to take a look at it in detail, but my first impression is 'wow'. Definately a very nicely designed map.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Any layout or cartographic suggestions are more then welcome :)

Looks good. My initial reaction was this: move the information boxes closer to the edges of the map. There seems to be a lot of space between them and the neatline. By doing so, you'll give more space to the area of interest and make it more of a frame to boot.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Great map and Well designed, I enjoy looking at it.
At first I thought I would have liked to see the names of the surrounding countries because of the recent controversies. but this may be a layer of info you dont want to get into.
But where is the hole that leads to the inside of the Hollow Earth? :)
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I thought I would have liked to see the names of the surrounding countries because of the recent controversies. but this may be a layer of info you dont want to get into.

The political boundaries are fairly irrelevant to the context of this map, so I chose to leave them out.. I will reduce the borders, and relocate my credit to the bottom/center, along with a legend, scale and projection info.

Great stuff on your website jean louis! That is some incredible art.
Greg Moore

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Great looking work Greg!

My only thought off hand is the title—I was going to say move it away from the box below it as they looked crapmed but then when I actually read it and saw that 'an endangered climate' was a sub title. I think it needs some visual cue to tie them togeather a bit more. See the two examples I would do.

Either of the attached could work—or I'm sure you are able to come up with another option.

But it's a great looking piece and I aggree with your idea of leving the countries off if they aren't relative.

Cheers,
Sam

Attached Files

S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I hope what follows doesn't sound too harsh. :)

The map looks very pretty, but aside from all of the great info in the text boxes what information is the map itself conveying? You mentioned adding sea ice limits? Will you be showing how that has diminished over time? Maybe predictions of future reduction in the limits?

I don't think you need a scale bar, unless distance is important in the map's story. Same goes for a legend unless there is some info the legend needs to convey.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Hey Dave, criticism is exactly what I'm looking for, I appreciate it!

The sea ice extents are what I'm working on right now. There will be a solid polygon showing the continuous extents between 1979 and 2007, and a few projections of where the extents could be in the future. (probably dashed lines)

This is to be the focus of the map.

I think a scale could be helpful in interpreting the area of the extents, and the legend will be necessary to identify the extents.

I am still trying to find a way to make the solid polygon textured enough that it will fit in with the rest of my shaded data.
Snow textures look cheesy, and any beveling that I've done looks horrible as well. I'm going to try and clone tool some of the textures from the snow on Greenland, but I'd appreciate some suggestions!
Greg Moore

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

the finished product, critique away!

Posted Image
Greg Moore

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Looks great to me.
Congratulations!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

It look very very good...

Ice extent surely comes from a grid converted (I used data from the NSIDC too) but I would have made the boundaries a little smoother in MAPublisher. They're maybe a little too "straight" IMO, but they show exactly what you want to show so it's more aesthetic that cartographic and doesn't make your map less good.

My english is not the best, but I think I saw some grammatical errors (like there should be a point after "... sea ice is depleting at a alarming rate." I no english expert, but I work for a publisher and it's a reflex to look at that too ;)

You will benefit using a "thousand separator" in your sea ice extents (4,107,804.4...) and I also think you miss comas in your scale (1 : 12,000,000), in your software credit, it's MAPublisher not Map Publisher and Excel has only one "l" ;)

All that doesn't affect the look of your map and I have only 3 words to say: very good job! :)

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

It look very very good...

Ice extent surely comes from a grid converted (I used data from the NSIDC too) but I would have made the boundaries a little smoother in MAPublisher. They're maybe a little too "straight" IMO, but they show exactly what you want to show so it's more aesthetic that cartographic and doesn't make your map less good.

My english is not the best, but I think I saw some grammatical errors (like there should be a point after "... sea ice is depleting at a alarming rate." I no english expert, but I work for a publisher and it's a reflex to look at that too ;)

You will benefit using a "thousand separator" in your sea ice extents (4,107,804.4...) and I also think you miss comas in your scale (1 : 12,000,000), in your software credit, it's MAPublisher not Map Publisher and Excel has only one "l" ;)

All that doesn't affect the look of your map and I have only 3 words to say: very good job! :)

wow great eye on the credits! Thanks, I will make those changes.
all in all, I am very pleased with the way it turned out.
It looks great plotted at 24" x 36", although all the little tiny mistakes turn into big mistakes once it is plotted large format!
Greg Moore

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Did you find the scenarios from NSIDC too? are they from ACIA... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Did you find the scenarios from NSIDC too? are they from ACIA... ?

Not sure what you mean by "scenarios"... Our ice extents were created and averaged from NSIDC data
Greg Moore

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I was referring to the 2025 and 2050 extent. Maybe they have been added to the NSIDC repository.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->