4 replies to this topic

patdunlavey

patdunlavey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

The MAPublisher (v7.3) scale bar plugin does not seem to provide any way to alter the graphic style that is applied to the scale bar graphics. It always appears to use the 1 pt black stroke and white fill, no overprint. The 1 pt black stroke, in particular, is really a problem. I've tried applying other styles directly (as though it were a conventional Illustrator object), but that doesn't work. The only solution I've found is to expand appearance, ungroup, etc. Can anyone point me to a trick I may be missing?
Pat Dunlavey
www.pdcarto.com

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

The MAPublisher (v7.3) scale bar plugin does not seem to provide any way to alter the graphic style that is applied to the scale bar graphics. It always appears to use the 1 pt black stroke and white fill, no overprint. The 1 pt black stroke, in particular, is really a problem. I've tried applying other styles directly (as though it were a conventional Illustrator object), but that doesn't work. The only solution I've found is to expand appearance, ungroup, etc. Can anyone point me to a trick I may be missing?

Unfortunately, I think that's the extent of your options at present. The only 'styles' we support right now are the layout of the scalebar boxes themselves.

What kind of customization are you looking for? It's probably too late for the next major release but I can certainly add it to the feature wishlist. It sounds like you'd like to be able to apply different graphical styles? Would it be enough to be able to choose the line's graphical style or would you need more complex control? Bear in mind that the fewer options we have to add, the more likely it is to get added (after all, I'd have to make a case for it being included based on time spent on the feature). Maybe say what you'd like ideally but underscore the critical points, if there are any.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

avz

avz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

If you have a finalized scalebar you are content with it as far as it's configuration then you can use Illustrator's Object->Expand option to break it down into its base art allowing for the editing of fill colour, text font etc...

Note however that the scalebar is no longer "live" editable through the scalebar generator at this point

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

What kind of customization are you looking for? It's probably too late for the next major release but I can certainly add it to the feature wishlist. It sounds like you'd like to be able to apply different graphical styles? Would it be enough to be able to choose the line's graphical style or would you need more complex control? Bear in mind that the fewer options we have to add, the more likely it is to get added (after all, I'd have to make a case for it being included based on time spent on the feature). Maybe say what you'd like ideally but underscore the critical points, if there are any.

it would be great to customize based on separate variables rather than a "menu of choices" system. Kind of like you can in giving preferences for feature labels and graticule/grid:

1. Choose basic form of bar (open/closed, alternating checkerboard/all open, etc)
2. Choose direction of open (up or down)
3. Choose side for text
4. Choose text style (the only option that works this way now)
5. Choose line style
6. Where applicable, choose fill style (or maybe you just combine the last two as graphical style)

Additionally, it would be great if the vertical and horizontal lines were joined. As it is, there's an ugly notch in the outside corners. That and the default 1 point black lines are the main reason I use the MaPublisher bars to trace from...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

it would be great to customize based on separate variables rather than a "menu of choices" system. Kind of like you can in giving preferences for feature labels and graticule/grid:

1. Choose basic form of bar (open/closed, alternating checkerboard/all open, etc)
2. Choose direction of open (up or down)
3. Choose side for text
4. Choose text style (the only option that works this way now)
5. Choose line style
6. Where applicable, choose fill style (or maybe you just combine the last two as graphical style)

Additionally, it would be great if the vertical and horizontal lines were joined. As it is, there's an ugly notch in the outside corners. That and the default 1 point black lines are the main reason I use the MaPublisher bars to trace from...

That's a pretty good idea. I think the reason the Scale Bar is implemented the way it is currently is more because -- at the time -- we were basically duplicating the old 5.0 & older functionality (albeit better), and that used the 'pre-formatted styles' approach. I've added a feature request for this and we'll be looking at it for the next point release after the one we're working on now. So we're talking a bit of time here, unfortunately, before you see anything.

In the mean time, I think the only workaround is the one suggested above -- namely to expand the art and then tweak it manually.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->