• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

gmorrison

gmorrison

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

I have several rss.xml files that I would like to import to ArcGIS. I have 9.1 and 9.2, but if you have any ideas, tips, or tricks I would love to hear them. The rss files are considered GeoRSS files because they have point locations that are tagged to descriptions. The point locations are defined by geo:lat and geo:long so I am sure there is a way for esri to acknowledge the spatial reference of the points and plot the points. If you would like to see an example of the rss file let me know.

Thanks for your help ahead of time!

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Not sure if this is what you're after:

http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=15125

I found that by searching for GeoRSS on the ESRI Support Center's Knowledge Base; a number of other items come up that may be useful as well:
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

gmorrison

gmorrison

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Not sure if I was just making it more complicated than it really is but I figured it out. GeoRSS files are in xml format, so by opening the xml file in excel and cleaning up the table a bit you can then save it as a dbase file. The dbase file can be imported into ArcGIS by using the Add XY data tool and specifying the x and y coordinates to the correct column.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->