Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Statistics
  • Indonesia

Hello :)

This will be somewhat of an introduction for me as well as a posting of one of my first maps for critique.
I am a newbie in this forum. My name is hermawan, mostly I work in GIS and I love maps. I hope can improve my knowledge and skill with joint this forum.
1. Visit My Website
2. http://images.hsadik...p?nmid=84016232
3.http://hsadik.multiply.com/photos/photo/10/1

Please give me feed back. Thanks

Hermawan

Queneau

Queneau

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Netherlands

Hi Hermawan,

Could you tell a bit more about the purpose of this map, what is the objective? I think this might make it easier to give sensible commentry.

Greetings, Jeffrey
Jeffrey | Queneau

Graphic Designer
Netherlands

Hermawan US

Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Indonesia

Hi Hermawan,

Could you tell a bit more about the purpose of this map, what is the objective? I think this might make it easier to give sensible commentry.

Greetings, Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey

Thanks for your quick respon. I have updated these link.
1. http://hsadik.multip...woKCs8AAEZud1g1
2. http://images.hsadik...p?nmid=84016232

The objective for first map is very simple. Plotting Public hospital at Paris, I try to help anyone that find information about hospital at paris, can find using this map.

I using ArcMap and retouching using illustrator, so the map can export to pdf layered.

Thanks, hermawan

Queneau

Queneau

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks for the extra info. I quite like the color scheme, quite subtle and balanced. I guess you know that there are some roads that are not connected? This shouldn't be to hard to fix in illustrator though.

Some things that I think need some work are these:

1. The point of the map is to show the locations of the hospitals in Paris, but the use of symbols makes it difficult to locate exactly in which street they are, where the entrance is, etc. Maybe you could use the contour of the buildings and make these blue? I think this might make them stand out more.

2. The placement of the typography could be improved. I think it would be better to place the names of roads on the roads themselves instead of next to them. Probably it's better to use a slightly bold sans serif typeface (say Arial Bold). The use of all caps might also help. For the names of the hospitals it might be better not to use a text box and make the type itself blue.

Just try some versions, see what you like and don't like, then post 'm again!

Hope this helps,

Greets Jeffrey
Jeffrey | Queneau

Graphic Designer
Netherlands

Hermawan US

Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Indonesia

Thanks for the extra info. I quite like the color scheme, quite subtle and balanced. I guess you know that there are some roads that are not connected? This shouldn't be to hard to fix in illustrator though.

Some things that I think need some work are these:

1. The point of the map is to show the locations of the hospitals in Paris, but the use of symbols makes it difficult to locate exactly in which street they are, where the entrance is, etc. Maybe you could use the contour of the buildings and make these blue? I think this might make them stand out more.

2. The placement of the typography could be improved. I think it would be better to place the names of roads on the roads themselves instead of next to them. Probably it's better to use a slightly bold sans serif typeface (say Arial Bold). The use of all caps might also help. For the names of the hospitals it might be better not to use a text box and make the type itself blue.

Just try some versions, see what you like and don't like, then post 'm again!

Hope this helps,

Greets Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

Your right, I will consider for your suggestions and make some improvements.
I know about there are some street not connected, I'am still editing. And for suggestion about contour building, may be I must work more patient to create them :).

Thank's for all your suggestion.

Hermawan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->