3 replies to this topic

Drumul Taberei

Drumul Taberei

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Romania

Hello!

I'm Ionut, from Bucharest, Romania, Eastern Europe.

I'm here to search for documentation and technical advise in order to complete a map project. I want to make an urban plan for Drumul Taberei neighbourhood, Bucharest. This is a large high density urban area with almost a half million inhabitants and hundreds of blocks and other buildings. The plan it will be finished in the 2nd half of 2009, maybe 2010 'cause i work alone on it.

This plan it will be more complex than the commercial maps existing on the market. It starts with walk trips on the streets to correct and update existing commercial maps (even the most complete one have mistakes). Then home i continue with Google Earth images for the scale (500 meter height) and the shape of the buildings, and finally it will have a "paper printed"-like look.

For now i work on a multi-layer editor (Paint.Net) and i manually input layers with the outline of the buildings, playing grounds, parks, industrial, military and commercial areas, shape of the streets (main and secondary rang), their names, street numbers, buildings numbers and entrances, traffic signs, transportation routes and stations, other public interest places.

I'm especially looking for colour conventions used in high density urban maps and any other infos that might help me to make a high quality urban map for Drumul Taberei neighbourhood and to finish it sooner.

More infos about Drumul Taberei neighbourhood you can find on Wikipedia (english page have more details than romanian one).

The first 2 maps and other old and new commercial maps can be found for free on my blog http://drumultaberei.wordpress.com (romanian version only for the moment).
Ionut

Working on Drumul Taberei neighbourhood maps at Http://DrumulTaberei.WordPress.Com
(any critics and sugestions are welcome)

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hi Ionut,
Welcome to Cartotalk. Good luck on your project.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • United States

Welcome aboard. This is a great place to access lots of cartographic knowledge and opinion. You should be able to get some good suggestions and feedback on your project here.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi Ionut!

Welcome! It looks quite a challenge!

We had a discussion about city map about a month ago: City map - color scheme

There where some interesting reference...

Maybe you could use the help of some free GIS. I never personaly tried Paint.Net (i didn't find any GIS add-ons or plugin like Geographic Imager for Photoshop), but you could benefit from the help of professional map tools (although I did my share of maps in Photoshop ;) )

Either way, as usual, we'd like to see it in the Map Gallery and then, it would be easier to comment it and help you, if we can, to improve it.

Welcome again! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->