• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Steve Sagala

Steve Sagala

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Graphics, history, politics, science, psychology, etc.
  • United States

Steves wonders, as ex-L-DGO (70's) if anyone follows in footsteps of Heezen/Tharp operations? :(

Moved by moderator/frax from another topic:
Ex-Lamont-Doherty employee (1970's); learning about the state of the art today. Wondering if anyone at Columbia or L-DEO carries on where Heezen and Tharp left off (oceanographically speaking).

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Matthew wonders what in the world this post refers to and finds this article that gives some background information. Marie Tharp is quite a cartographer! Here is a snapshot of their finished work. Posted Image

Steves wonders, as ex-L-DGO (70's) if anyone follows in footsteps of Heezen/Tharp operations? :(

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Steve Sagala

Steve Sagala

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Hi Matthew - I have seen the article you refer to, and offer my thanks for sending the link. I must first mention that Marie Tharp was a great cartographer, person and thinker; I attended her memorial services last year. And that photo of the map - I may have taken the original as I was working with Marie in 1970's and have one of the original 8x10 Ektachromes in my desk under the computer. Everyone who knew Bruce and Marie has great stories, some of which are to be found in "Upheaval from the Abyss" by David M. Lawrence. I was a staff photographer at Lamont 1972-1977 and consulted with Marie as she struggled with the business of getting that map published after Bruce's tragedy aboard the NR-1 Navy submersible. I try to keep up with these matters, as I went into the advertising field after my stint at Lamont - and still find all of it fascinating. (We actually had glue pots in the department!) Thanks for replying to my post.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

That map is an absolutely stunning masterpiece, and a classic. I remember sitting in the lab at World Resources Institute two years ago, chugging away on maps, with that chart on the wall behind my desk.

Steve - maybe you can enlighten us more on the process on how it was prepare - the practical cartographical process. I guess it is oil paint - what size is the original?

You might be interested in Tom Patterson's work (National Park Service) - he is an irregular poster/visitor on this board as well, see e.g. this thread.

You can see his work, including his experimentation on shaded relief and 3d effects at shadedrelief.com.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Steve - I hope you don't mind - I deleted your other topic ('Ancient History') and copy that text into your first post here - they looked like they were duplicates, and your other post was a bit more informative. As a spam prevention measure new members posts has to be approved before going online, I guess you just didn't see it online and tried again... - I hope you don't mind.

:)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Steve Sagala

Steve Sagala

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

That map is an absolutely stunning masterpiece, and a classic. I remember sitting in the lab at World Resources Institute two years ago, chugging away on maps, with that chart on the wall behind my desk.

Steve - maybe you can enlighten us more on the process on how it was prepare - the practical cartographical process. I guess it is oil paint - what size is the original?

You might be interested in Tom Patterson's work (National Park Service) - he is an irregular poster/visitor on this board as well, see e.g. this thread.

You can see his work, including his experimentation on shaded relief and 3d effects at shadedrelief.com.

Steve Sagala

Steve Sagala

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

B)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I just downloaded the new version of Google Earth (5) which has (among lots of other things) a free downloadable file of Marie Tharp's historical map of the World's Ocean Floor.
Attached File  Picture_98.png   235.31KB   34 downloads

It's pretty cool to actually see the bathymetry she drew, then dive underwater and see the bathymetry that Google uses. Hopefully someone will start rendering 3-d sea creatures and animate them swimming around. :)

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Steve Sagala

Steve Sagala

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

I just downloaded the new version of Google Earth (5) which has (among lots of other things) a free downloadable file of Marie Tharp's historical map of the World's Ocean Floor.
Attached File  Picture_98.png   235.31KB   34 downloads

It's pretty cool to actually see the bathymetry she drew, then dive underwater and see the bathymetry that Google uses. Hopefully someone will start rendering 3-d sea creatures and animate them swimming around. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->