• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ben H

Ben H

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

I have been checking out some of the other amazing maps that are up here over the past few days and I thought that I'd put this up. It is a work in progress, just something I was fooling around with. I was playing around with Tom Patterson's CleanTopo2 and Natural Earth in PS trying to see if I could come up with something cool. I came across some UN earth at night data and made an "illumination" layer out of it. The purple and yellow spots are urban areas that change color depending on their illumination output. It is of course, all just artistic interpretation and the only real purpose is to have something cool to look at. Thanks you Tom for the cool data and to anyone who might have any suggestions.

Attached File  EarthNightLifeSmall.jpg   926.65KB   408 downloads

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

It does look nice indeed :D Although you could try to project your data to an ortographic projection so it looks a bit more natural - like a globe from space. I think I saw something similar (globe at night) at nasa's website. It must have been visible earth and blue marble data set I believe.

Keep on posting your stuff here. It's always good to see something good looking in the morning before starting or continueing own projects :-)
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Looks very nice, I like the idea of having NE in the background for that. What nightlight data did you use?

Although it is totally unrealistic - you would have to turn off the sun to have night everywhere at once! :)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Wow, that is really nice to look at. :rolleyes:
Although it is always sobering to see how much energy we consume on a global scale. :(

As a side note, Its funny how the nile valley kinda looks like a lightning bolt. :)

very nice,
-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo)
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

Ben H

Ben H

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

It does look nice indeed :D Although you could try to project your data to an ortographic projection so it looks a bit more natural - like a globe from space. I think I saw something similar (globe at night) at nasa's website. It must have been visible earth and blue marble data set I believe.

Keep on posting your stuff here. It's always good to see something good looking in the morning before starting or continueing own projects :-)

Yeah, I've seen the same NASA images. I was thinking of this as a sort of exaggerated version. Eventually I will get around to reprojecting it. I haven't actually worked on it in a few months. I've been too busy with my "real" job. I would post some of that stuff, but unfortunately it's confidential.

brentpalmer

brentpalmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Australia

... You could try to project your data to an ortographic projection so it looks a bit more natural - like a globe from space.

But keep the existing version as a Queensland edition. The state I live in is full of flat-earthers.

JamesFNomar

JamesFNomar

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

... You could try to project your data to an ortographic projection so it looks a bit more natural - like a globe from space.

But keep the existing version as a Queensland edition. The state I live in is full of flat-earthers.

Incredible job. I just set this as my desktop image on my computer.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Creative thinking, i assume that you have used some sort of POI for showing them as a lights (White dots).
Good stuff.
GISGURU

I have been checking out some of the other amazing maps that are up here over the past few days and I thought that I'd put this up. It is a work in progress, just something I was fooling around with. I was playing around with Tom Patterson's CleanTopo2 and Natural Earth in PS trying to see if I could come up with something cool. I came across some UN earth at night data and made an "illumination" layer out of it. The purple and yellow spots are urban areas that change color depending on their illumination output. It is of course, all just artistic interpretation and the only real purpose is to have something cool to look at. Thanks you Tom for the cool data and to anyone who might have any suggestions.

Attached File  EarthNightLifeSmall.jpg   926.65KB   408 downloads

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

This months National Geographic (well, November 2008 anyway), has a cover story on light pollution that I found really interesting. I was visiting Joshua Tree National Park a few weeks ago and it reminded me of just how many stars you lose under the light canopy of major cities.

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->