• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Also the costs of a website and maintaining it runs into hundreds of dollars a month.

Not really. A .com domain will cost you something like $12 or $15 for a year, hosting can be anywhere between $4 and $10 per month, depending on your ISP. Setting up a website can be pricy if you want to get it done professionally, but a simple portfolio website shouldn't be all that expensive and after it's been set up you can pretty much manage the content yourself.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

I agree with Hans.

My web site costs 9.95 (CAD) per month for 800megs of storage, 10 emails and I forget the data transfer limit (but it is in the giga bytes). The domain name cost per year is in the 25 (CAD) range for a .ca .

The real cost is in the time required to build AND maintain a professional looking site. As most cartographers have design and technical abilities I suggest coding and designing your on web site... but only do it off hours (when there is less real work from real clients to be done).

As for paying to be atop web searches. My opinion is to stick with titles and meta name tags.
Chart

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Then there are the free options, which might something to start with: geocities, google pages. If you want to go with a more blog-like format, you can use sites like blogger.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Then there are the free options, which might something to start with: geocities, google pages. If you want to go with a more blog-like format, you can use sites like blogger.

Oh yeah, even a simple free blog can be a great way to set up a portfolio. It also allows you to focus on content rather than the technical stuff around it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->