- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

learscail

learscail

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in historical geography and how landscapes change over time. Also local history and, of course, maps!
  • Ireland

I'm coming to the end of a four year evening BA course in history and geography. The geography module was particularly good as it combined local history with physical, economic, historical and human geography.

One reason for taking the course in the first place was that I wanted a career change. I'm 48 years old and have worked in graphic design for ten years but I now want to do something more fulfilling. Maps have always held a fascination, so a combination of graphics and cartography seemed like a good way to go. I have good experience of Illustrator, Photoshop, QuarkXpress as well as print production, web design and PowerPoint.

Problem is that modern cartography seems to be very much oriented towards GIS and the use of databases. Mathematics has never been my strong point. I am more inclined towards things visual. I've heard the terms 'cartogarphic illustration' and 'cartographic designer' mentioned but have never come across any jobs like that. I've come across a company called Hand Made Maps (www.handmademaps.com) and feel that this type of work would be of interest to me.

Am I being unrealistic here or are there opportunities out there for someone like me? If so how and where is it possible to get formal training?

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

Am I being unrealistic here or are there opportunities out there for someone like me? If so how and where is it possible to get formal training?

I asked a similar question on this forum a while back. You can find it and replies here. I don't know about formal training, but I have some recommended books in this entry on my blog.
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->