map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hello, Im new here at the site.
Looks like a lot of knowledge here on a unique subject.

I really like some of the maps in the projects section. I'm hoping to one day get up to that level.
I saw some of the program that people use illustrator and mapproject but they are way out of my personal budget range (>1000$)
I was wondering if someone could recommend a lesser known product for a max of $300 that can do a good job.

My main objective is bathymetry maps. I get my own data and make my own maps with 3dfield but the maps arent very pretty.
Heres a couple i did.
Bathymetry maps-my own

Thanks for any input.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Map Maker, and welcome to Cartotalk.

For your budget, both Global Mapper and Manifold are worth considering. There's been plenty of discussion on both of them here already. Also, there's probabely several open-source alternatives.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

The Generic Mapping Tool (GMT) has a little learning curve to it, but it's completely free (GNU) and developed by scientists who are mapping bathymetry the world over:

http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/

there's a bathy example under the 'examples' link.

might be worth a look.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

With a personnel budget of $300 per unit you should consider bidding on E-Bay, I got a $260 product fior $25.00. Rate now you can get CorelDraw X3 for $199 on E-Bay.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

mary

mary

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Illustrator may be out of your price range but Adobe offers a free 30 day trial. The trial is a good way to see what the software is capable of and may help you determine if it's something you would want in the future.

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Take a look at MapViewer from Golden Software. It contains some powerful gridding and contouring options that would fit your needs.

http://www.goldensof...mapviewer.shtml

map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for the replies.
I have got alot of homework to do, looking at all the programs.

I really like the less known programs as they are usually alot harder to learn than the boxed version but usually have more user oriented options.

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Hi,

There's a product called, rather aptly Map Maker, which might fit the bill. I've only had a limited play around with the free version but with the Pro version you can create 3D surfaces from points. Unfortunately, the Pro version retails for $495 US dollars, so it's a little over your budget!

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

There's a product called, rather aptly Map Maker, which might fit the bill. I've only had a limited play around with the free version but with the Pro version you can create 3D surfaces from points. Unfortunately, the Pro version retails for $495 US dollars, so it's a little over your budget!

Greg.

I did try the map maker program but felt you were quite limited on what you can do. I also tried the global mapper trial but felt that was more of a gis related program than a map designing program.
My gis program 3dfield can do most gis functions so i really need to be able to present that in a eye appealing fashion.
I am currently looking at Canvas 11 +GIS module as it seems like a program i can use. the reviews are quite mixed though with users that love it and users that hate it.
canvas 11 gis
Just got to give the 30 day trial a real run and maybe wait for it on ebay to knock the price down a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->