• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I just went on my site to check a few pages and found something else on it...
http://www.francoisgoulet.com/

Something from register.com with a lot of bogus stuff about many francois' in the world.

Could you just tell me if you see something about maps of the register.com page?

I have write to them and to my accound manager but no response so far.

I'm furious!

Thanks!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I clicked on the link and I went to a page that seemed to be from a professional cartographer. Some of the links didn't work - but I found some great looking maps on the Portfolio section.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Hehehe!

Thanks! It's on construction so it's ok if not all the links work, butt thanks again for the comments on my portfolio... I'm working on it this week ;) and for saying it looked to be from a professional cartographer... that's what I think I am and I've been working hard on it :P

I'm really relieved! I've been making a fuzz in the last days about Ukrainian data and maps and it has been published this morning and my site in mentionned on the map so I kinda freaked out! (you can see there my "new" homepage: www.francoisgoulet.com/scums.jpg)

Must have a scumware or something like that on my computer). I am now running any program I have against anything known to mankind to find it!!)

A friend of mine register a domain with the same service provider and I can't see her homepage neither.

Anyone know any problems with domain register with Google Apps?

Thanks Matthew for checking it! :)

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Hehehe!
... so I kinda freaked out! (you can see there my "new" homepage: www.francoisgoulet.com/scums.jpg)

Wow...seeing that on my website would've made my heart skip a beat.

Thank-goodness yours site didn't get hijacked. :)

-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo)

ps...your site did work for me also
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Wow...seeing that on my website would've made my heart skip a beat.

Thank-goodness yours site didn't get hijacked. :)

I have to admit that I didn't work very hard for 2-3 hours ;) Other things on my minds than maps (yes, yes, it happens ;) )

I tried on other computers here and it works fine too, so it's definitely from my computer. Don't understand why though, only google apps' domains are affected. Strange.

So far, antivirus, antirootkit and antispywares got nothing and my firewall's on. :unsure:

Thanks guys. I knew I'd have faster feedback from you than my friends ;)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Thanks guys. I knew I'd have faster feedback from you than my friends ;)

Hi Francois,

I just added you to my friends list - so now both bases are covered! :lol:

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

I just added you to my friends list - so now both bases are covered! :lol:

So did I! So, finally a friend answered me! :D

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Hello Francois,

I just looked at your site address and found the same thing as Matthew: a beautiful portfolio. Nothing makes me happier than seeing lovely maps. :)

As for your particular issue with Google Apps and your domain name I would suggest going to the Google Apps Discussion Group for advice on how to resolve the issue: http://groups.google...up/apps-discuss

From a quick search, it seems that register.com is valid.

p.s. congrats on your Ukraine publicity!

analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

From a quick search, it seems that register.com is valid.

register.com seems legit. I still don't know why I couldn't access any pages registered with google apps. I ran a full sweep of my hard drive with AVG AntiSpyware and finally got it, erase it and won! :)

Entering the default adress (http://www.francoisg...ooglepages.com/) point me in the right direction. Maybe it was a server problem and it didn't recognize my alias domain name but only from my computer?? I may never know ;)

Thanks for you comments, you're too kind :)

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Francois - that page that you saw is a standard placeholder that you can find for a lot things when a domain is not registered, or just parked. I think you might have had some DNS error or glitch, temporarily, or your ISP messed up temporarily.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Francois - that page that you saw is a standard placeholder that you can find for a lot things when a domain is not registered, or just parked. I think you might have had some DNS error or glitch, temporarily, or your ISP messed up temporarily.

I contact my ISP but no response so far. I still think though that it was something on my computer because my page was still accessible from all the other computer except mine. It took me some time to realize it though because I couldn't check with others for some time. I'll try to clear it with my ISP when I'll have a feed back.

Thanks Frax!

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Windows also keeps it's own DNS cache which can get corrupted or stuck with old information. You can open the "Run..." box and enter "ipconfig /flushdns" to reset it. It won't do any harm other than some pages might take a secons extra to load as it need to get new DNS info.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

...or reboot
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Windows also keeps it's own DNS cache which can get corrupted or stuck with old information. You can open the "Run..." box and enter "ipconfig /flushdns" to reset it. It won't do any harm other than some pages might take a secons extra to load as it need to get new DNS info.

Thanks Nick! I'll try it! :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm fearing there might be something going on with my domain as well. It works just fine for me, but I've heard from others who end up seeing something that's *not* my website.

I was wondering if you all could just take a look at http://www.redgeographics.com and let me know when you see something that is not my company website (no duck = not good). This is not some ploy to get more visitors, I'm just curious to find out what's going on.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->