• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

kumargis1

kumargis1

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • India

Is there any tool / extantion/plug in for building a map index in illustrator or in arcGIS.

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

You could use DSMAPBOOK to create a Map Index in ArcGIS. You should be able to find it with instructions with your ArcGIS install. Probably at the following path: C:\ProgramFiles\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit\samples\Cartography\DS_Map_BookVisual_Basic

Information can also be found here:

http://edndoc.esri.c...k/DSMAPBOOK.htm

Rich

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Also check the ESRI Mapping Center at http://mappingcenter.esri.com/ and do a search for "index". They did a blog entry recently about creating street name indexes.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I always have a lot of succes doing it in MAPublisher (has an indexing function out-of-the-box) and then cleaning it up a little bit in FME.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Also check the ESRI Mapping Center at http://mappingcenter.esri.com/ and do a search for "index". They did a blog entry recently about creating street name indexes.

That's what I've been doing for my indexing for about a year and it works great for me... It can be a sweaty job (if you have a lot of annotation layers like me), but it's precise. I used XTools "feature to point' to create my points for indexing since I only have an ArcView license (it's a free fonction of XTools), but it works for me. I have indexed that way about 1500 places and features names in 2 days.

The only thing with the method described in the Mapping Center, is that it is static. If you what to change a label, it will not update.

For finished products, it's great though! :)

Does anyone has an idea to have a dynamically update index?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have indexed that way about 1500 places and features names in 2 days.

2 days? You have got to be kidding me. Can you get me the text in some sort of GIS format?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

2 days? You have got to be kidding me. Can you get me the text in some sort of GIS format?

No kidding!
I had 8 maps (like that one http://www.francoisg...6-Afrique-1.jpg Not a lot of names on that one, but it's the one with the less annotations), and exported my index in word format, in English AND French, for our book in 2 days.

I had about 12-15 annotation layers per map with a columns for French and English names in them,
I created a grid for each map,
add the A, B, C, 1, 2, 3 attribute on each of them (manually, but it quick),
converted my annotations into points (that's the longest part) then merged them into a single point layer,
did a spatial joint so the value with my grid of the Row/Column value would be in my point layer,
create a field index_fr and index_en and calculate the value of it to add the name, a nice little coma and then the cell_id (A2, C4...) of it,
and finally, grabed it directly in the .mdb file using Access and paste it into word.

I always keep an id field so if the name changes in my database, I can update it easily. But if you add a feature after, you'll have to add the point manually of start over.

I developed this method a year ago and then I find an article on the Mapping Center so I was happy to see I did good :P

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

MAPublisher has had map indexing capabilites for several versions now that enables quick and easy indexing in Adobe Illustrator. www.mapublisher.com

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

kumargis1

kumargis1

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • India

Nice method francois. But I think we should also look in to find some solution which can reduce time. What is your experince with Mappublisher?

No kidding!
I had 8 maps (like that one http://www.francoisg...6-Afrique-1.jpg Not a lot of names on that one, but it's the one with the less annotations), and exported my index in word format, in English AND French, for our book in 2 days.

I had about 12-15 annotation layers per map with a columns for French and English names in them,
I created a grid for each map,
add the A, B, C, 1, 2, 3 attribute on each of them (manually, but it quick),
converted my annotations into points (that's the longest part) then merged them into a single point layer,
did a spatial joint so the value with my grid of the Row/Column value would be in my point layer,
create a field index_fr and index_en and calculate the value of it to add the name, a nice little coma and then the cell_id (A2, C4...) of it,
and finally, grabed it directly in the .mdb file using Access and paste it into word.

I always keep an id field so if the name changes in my database, I can update it easily. But if you add a feature after, you'll have to add the point manually of start over.

I developed this method a year ago and then I find an article on the Mapping Center so I was happy to see I did good :P

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Nice method francois. But I think we should also look in to find some solution which can reduce time. What is your experince with Mappublisher?

I know this method is time consuming... I can't imagine what it would have been if I had to index all 40 maps in our atlas, but at least it is effective.

I never tried MAPublisher for my indexes. I use MP a lot, but mostly for editing. We only have an ArcView license so MP is more flexible with the data. I was working on my project for about a year when the company purchases MP and I didn't want to restart for scratch or risk a change of "unity" and styles by changing software in the middle of the process. I'll have to try it though for other uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->