Photo

Create an Online Interactive map wiki editable?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

gmorrison

gmorrison

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

I am looking to create an online map in which users can access the map and add comments and point locations. I would like the map program to be very similar to GeoWiki. I have been using GeoWiki, from WorldKit, to present maps on our website and allow people to add points and comments on those points. The comments and points are stored in the rss file on our sever. I love this idea, but the user interface is harsh and I am looking for other options. Ultimately I want an online map that anybody is able to acces, and anybody is able to add comments to areas. We are working on community based issues and getting ideas and insight from the people in that area is extremely powerful. Any ideas as to where to look and how to go about this is greatly appreciated.

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

Take a look at Wikimapia http://wikimapia.org

I think it is very well done and does what you seem to be looking for.

Rich

gmorrison

gmorrison

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the idea Rich,

I have looked into Wikimapia before, and although it is a great idea and I hope it continues to grow, I don't think it would be good for our cause. My only problems with it are that I don't think citizens would mark their ideas on the map, and I don't think it would be good to have them mark up the entire wikimapia. Ideally I would like a map of this same style, but make it separate and for our purpose only. That way citizens could add points (or polygons whatever), to the map and add comments. An example of something we would like them to be able to do is add a point and a comment something to the effect of "this area would be great for a community center", or "I would like to see this area of town restored". I am more looking for a map that users will feel like they can add any comment anywhere, to get their opinions on city planning and growth out without having to attend every planning meeting.

Thanks again, and I hope I am not asking for something that is just not available yet.

gmorrison

gmorrison

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Ok, well after a few days of modifying the code and playing with GeoWiki, I was able to get the program to work how we wanted it to. While it is not perfect, it works for our purpose rather well and I thought I would share how we did it.
We began with using the GeoWiki program. We created a very large jpeg of our map area in ArcGIS. Then we used ZoomiferEZ to allow the user to zoom into areas in which they wanted to comment on.
For the issue of preventing vandalism and preventing inappropriate comments, instead of requiring that users create a login name and password before annotating the map, we chose to write the comments to a separate xml file than the map would display. GeoWiki is designed to write a rss.xml file which includes the users annotations and comments that are georeferenced in GeoRSS format. I copied the rss.xml file, and renamed it rss2.xml. In the program code all annotations and write functions were done to the new file, while display functions remained to the old file. We added "Name:" and "Email:" fields, as well as the "Comment" box so that if the user chose, we could later contact the user to ask questions or comment on their map annotations/suggestions.
The duplicated rss.xml file is easy to import into ArcGIS and similar software packages. Each annotation is tagged in GeoRSS format with <lat> <long> locational data. Simply opening the xml file in excel, then importing the xy data into arcgis has proved very useful. The Name, Email, and Comment to the point the user created are all automatically added to the attribute table.
I'm not sure if what we have done is well known, or considered simple processes for others on this board. I just thought I would share how we did it so if others come looking like I did they may find some ideas through this. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->