ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Mary,
Keep in mind that most cartographic texts are written from the broadest perspective possible. It's not practical for authors to try and create step by step directions for all the different cartographic scenarios. And we don't want that anyways! That spells the death of an art-form! Ultimately the decision is up to you as the cartographer. That's where the whole art and science thing comes in! I would give-up the search for official legend title documentation and look critically at the map your working on and make a decision.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I have been misssing a lot of great posts for a little while.
I,m back and strongly support Erin's point about the broader and looser perspective
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Jean-Louis, maybe the posts have been missing you... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Ultimately the decision is up to you as the cartographer. That's where the whole art and science thing comes in! I would give-up the search for official legend title documentation and look critically at the map your working on and make a decision.

Hooray for Erin! ;)

I've been fighting for this for the past two years! It's not easy to tell your employer, who has a very high quality standard to give you the liberty to decide. I'm the cartographer! I know if I can do the thing you're asking me (like putting the word "Legend"... I had to fight this one), and I can explain it to you (as a proof I don't take my decision lightly) and no, I can't give you guidelines that I will apply in all my maps (they like to have unity, inside book collections, but as a "company style" as well) and I can't do that. Different book styles, different publics, different maps!

mary

mary

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your help everyone! I still haven't found the argument I was looking for but you've all helped me see that even though I believe in something it doesn't make it right! One of the things I love about maps is they are so personal to the cartographer; every artist has their own style. I'm going to keep pushing my boss to update our standards - I may not be able to change all maps but I can definately work on those coming out of my office. Some of the people I work with are a little old fashioned and traditional in their ideas and aren't comfortable changing things quickly...All I can say is look out - I'm shaking things up!

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Some of the people I work with are a little old fashioned and traditional in their ideas and aren't comfortable changing things quickly...All I can say is look out - I'm shaking things up!

Good for you!

It may sound a little too "Dr. Phil", but the most important thing is to believe in yourself! I had the same problem and achieve to change some things (not all, but...) because I was so sure of what I was saying to convince them that they had to accept it at some point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->