• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

kumargis1

kumargis1

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • India

IS there any refined metho to export .shp (GIS data) to .ai (Illustrator format). I want to get a map from GIS which will optimaly edited and cartographical enhanced and there is any scop remains to edited in .ai.

tellett

tellett

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Mapping (obviously!!)<br />Photography<br />Music<br />Travelling<br />Sport
  • United Kingdom

IS there any refined metho to export .shp (GIS data) to .ai (Illustrator format). I want to get a map from GIS which will optimaly edited and cartographical enhanced and there is any scop remains to edited in .ai.

Hi Kumar, you can simply export a map from Arcmap in .ai format if you have Arcmap. If not I'm sure you can use a conversion program like FME. Le t me know if you have neither of these.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Canada

Or use the MaPublisher plugin for Illustrator. You'll then have access to all the shapefile's tabular data within Illustrator. Be aware, however, that this may be slow for very large files.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Indeed, MAPublisher is what you need. It is a complete suit of plugin tools for Adobe Illustrator that adds GIS and cartographic functionality including the ability to import shapefiles and many other major GIS data formats. Shapefiles come into Illustrator complete with all geodata and attributes. Have a look at www.mapublisher.com
You can download a free demo there are well.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Certainly the larger the file the longer the import process but by and large there is rarely a shape file that will not import unless it is damaged to begin with. Much of this is actually due to Illustrator limitations such as their point per path or objects per layer constraints. MAPublisher has mechanisms in place to work around these constraints during the import process but sometimes with very complex files it takes a few seconds. But in any event it is certainly better than tracing or working with Arc's AI export files. The most recent version of MAPublisher also have significant improvements that reduce import times on large files.
Rudy, if you read this please feel free to send one of your "large" files into us for examination as we'd love to use them in our QA process and to see if we can improve even more.

Or use the MaPublisher plugin for Illustrator. You'll then have access to all the shapefile's tabular data within Illustrator. Be aware, however, that this may be slow for very large files.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Importing a shapefile with MAPublisher also has the advantage over export to .ai out of Arcmap in that your data will not be altered (unless it exceeds the point per path limit in Illustrator). Of course, you need additional software, but if you do this regularly, it's worth it (in my opinion).
If you do opt to export to .ai out of ArcMap be aware that DPI matters even with vector data. ESRI recommends a multiple of 72, but vertices will be snapped to a grid determined by the DPI. If you can build your map in ArcMap and export it once you won't have so many vertical integration issues in your Illustrator file, but if you're going to do several exports (and hate slivers) MAPublisher has a decided advantage.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would recommend MAPublisher as well. FME does offer export to PDF, AI and EPS, but it's kinda clunky.

Another option could be printing to PDF. Not exactly the best way if you still need to do edits though.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Paul, note that you just need to crank up the maximum vertices limit in ArcGIS, as well as the dpi (I export at 30k DPI, which means), then the data is not altered.

Everyone - please note that the starter of the thread never specified that he was working in ArcGIS...

Kumargis - what GIS software do you have access to?

The more free/open source way of doing this would be to convert it into a cad format, such as DXF (I have never done that). Another dirty hack way would be to export it as a very high resolution bitmap, from your GIS software, and then use live trace in Illy.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I want to get a map from GIS which will optimaly edited and cartographical enhanced and there is any scop remains to edited in .ai.

I get the idea Kumargis1 has already created the map in which case an Arc (or Manifold?) export to ai would be the ideal methos. Failing that to pdf as Hans suggested but look out, while Illy works well with pdf it's to a complete PS (and I imagine PDF) interpreter and we have had cases of opening files (originally from Microstation via Cadscript) which do some strange things with pattern fills which work fine in the pdf and on all the postscript rips we send the files to.

Importing a shapefile with MAPublisher also has the advantage over export to .ai out of Arcmap in that your data will not be altered (unless it exceeds the point per path limit in Illustrator). Of course, you need additional software, but if you do this regularly, it's worth it (in my opinion).
If you do opt to export to .ai out of ArcMap be aware that DPI matters even with vector data. ESRI recommends a multiple of 72, but vertices will be snapped to a grid determined by the DPI.

I'm sur MaPub still has to snap the points to the Illy 32 bit accuracy and the original GIS data is usually 64bit. This means the geometry is still changed but it is an Illustrator limitation not a MaPub limitation. If you turn up the dpi export setting in Arc using a multiple of 72 (I use 7200 but make sure there's no rasters or tranceparencies in the file) you should be able to get the same snapping?
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

I tend to ship data back and forth between ArcMap and Illustrator frequently when I'm working on a map, and I've never noticed any point shifting at all when using MAPublisher. On the contrary- everything is bang on.

Hugo, when you say "crank up the maximum vertices limit in ArcGIS," are you talking about an ArcMap setting of some kind? And how would that help? The number of vertices stays the same when exporting, it's just their location that shifts. Where can I access this setting?
Paul Fyfield
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with the Data to and from MAPub but GIS sets are normally 64 bit accuracy I believe where as Illy is 32 so there has to be a rounding of coordinates.

My point was if you set up Arc correctly the placement of these nodes will be as accurate as MaPub. But it is another step that you really shouldn't have to worry about. I really wish ESRI would set the raster and vector resolution separetly (and not call the vector grid resolution in dpi as this causes so much confusion for users.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

kumargis1

kumargis1

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • India

Dear all, thnx for ur views.
Acually i am working on arcgis with maplex. my specific problem is that when i export line feature fron .shp to .ai it shpws segmented and represented as breaked line in .ai . and there is any smoothness in ai files exported from arcgis.

kumargis1

kumargis1

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • India

Yes i have already created the map in arcgis and want to get smooth line feature in ai .

I want to get a map from GIS which will optimaly edited and cartographical enhanced and there is any scop remains to edited in .ai.

I get the idea Kumargis1 has already created the map in which case an Arc (or Manifold?) export to ai would be the ideal methos. Failing that to pdf as Hans suggested but look out, while Illy works well with pdf it's to a complete PS (and I imagine PDF) interpreter and we have had cases of opening files (originally from Microstation via Cadscript) which do some strange things with pattern fills which work fine in the pdf and on all the postscript rips we send the files to.

If you do opt to export to .ai out of ArcMap be aware that DPI matters even with vector data. ESRI recommends a multiple of 72, but vertices will be snapped to a grid determined by the DPI.

I'm sur MaPub still has to snap the points to the Illy 32 bit accuracy and the original GIS data is usually 64bit. This means the geometry is still changed but it is an Illustrator limitation not a MaPub limitation. If you turn up the dpi export setting in Arc using a multiple of 72 (I use 7200 but make sure there's no rasters or tranceparencies in the file) you should be able to get the same snapping?

tellett

tellett

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Mapping (obviously!!)<br />Photography<br />Music<br />Travelling<br />Sport
  • United Kingdom

Kumar, are all the vectors coming out disjointed or just a few? When you say smooth do you mean they're smooth when the start in Arc but change when they are exported into illustrator?

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Kumar,

Dashed lines export as pieces, disconnected line segments. It's better to export non-dashed lines and do the dashed symbology in Illustrator.

The problem with line smoothness makes me think your DPI isn't high enough. Try 720, or even higher if you have no raster data in your mxd.
Paul Fyfield
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->