• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I just got my first professional gig (considering that I learned only a week ago that the company will be closing its cartography department next month - and being THE cartography means they're cutting me ;) - it's not so bad) and was looking for advices.

The client is a weekly newspaper and considering the quality of the printing, I'd like to ask you about your styles for such jobs.

What I mean is I did for the last 3 years maps for books. I used to draw my graticules in hairlines (0.125 pt, black overprint lines), but I now that it should not look as good on a newspaper printer. My international boundaries were almost always 50% grey multiply lines, but I don't know if the multiply we'll be looking good.

What is the minimal stroke width in this type on publication? What is the minimal value difference between two colors for them to be easily differentiate (for example, does a 10% grey and a 20% grey are "separate" enough?)

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I did newsprint design years ago (so maybe this is ot of date), and two of the most important things to remember are:
  • most are 85 lpi, which means gray tones will be a bit coarse, and images only need to be 170 dpi
  • newsprint is absorbent and so ink spreads quite a bit, so line will get wider and type will look heavier

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Canada

The map will be in color and asked for a 300 dpi image. They sent me the low res image below of a map published recently as a model. I don't like all the white lines, international border and rivers, but I have to figure out by myself their width, font size, ... I don't know what was the original size of the China map was, but mine will be 5"x6".

I guess the result will look something like our laser printer at work. Hairline lines looks like to be 0.5 pt...

I'll post it in the Map Gallery monday and on my original post on Ukrainian Data (it's a map of Ukraine so... ;) )

Thanks for the tips!

Attached Files

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Also registration is terrible usually so try and keep your colour makeups and overprints in mind. Make sure black always overprintes. Try and make blues up out of 100 cyan overprinting. Add warmth to the blue hydro by adding magenta to the land it's overprinting. While these type of things limit the pallete you have to work with they will make for a clearer map accross the entire print run.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Canada

I have post my map in the Map Gallery...

Thanks guys! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->