bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

Hello.
I have a polygon shapefile which I derived in Arcgis by converting a raster with Raster to feature command.
Is there any possibility to find out the area of each feature in my shapefile and add it to the attribute table, because I want to make selections based on the area of the features?
Thank you.

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Go to http://www.xtoolspro.com/ and download the free version. There is an area calculation tool that adds measurements directly to your attribute table, plus some other useful tools in GIS.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Also if you add the shp to a GeoDB (personal or file based) it adds a field area for you, and I think recalculates this if you edit the polygon.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

Go to <a href="http://www.xtoolspro.com/" target="_blank">http://www.xtoolspro.com/</a> and download the free version. There is an area calculation tool that adds measurements directly to your attribute table, plus some other useful tools in GIS.

Thank you for the replies.

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Make sure your data are in an equal area projection (Albers e.g.) or the area calculation won't be worth much, and realize that the result will be in square units of whatever your projection unit is.
Seems to me there are scripts for this. Add a field, use the field calculator (you'll need to check the "advanced" box), then search the help for "field calculations" or something similar.
I do that all the time for stuff like calculating centroids and the like.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Make sure your data are in an equal area projection (Albers e.g.) or the area calculation won't be worth much

A very good point—I had never though of this. I do do all my mapping of this type on a very localised national projection though.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

Hello.
I have a polygon shapefile which I derived in Arcgis by converting a raster with Raster to feature command.
Is there any possibility to find out the area of each feature in my shapefile and add it to the attribute table, because I want to make selections based on the area of the features?
Thank you.

If you are using ArcGIS 9.2, you can use Calculate Geometry. No extensions or VB code needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->