Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Lots of booklet printers now have price lists or calculators online, which give some hint of what kind of pricing to expect for standard products such as 8.5 x 11 booklets, letting me talk to clients intelligently about printing costs. Has anyone found one with maps or two-sided posters?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

One place that comes to mind is Inkchaser.com

Doug
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

although they don't quote 2 sided posters, www.printpelican.com has a quick quoting system online which does include 18x24 and 24x36 4/0 printing.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

After seeing some of the prices I'm concerned that once you include the print cost in your quote the client may look for somone else who may be willing to lose a profit.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

After seeing some of the prices I'm concerned that once you include the print cost in your quote the client may look for somone else who may be willing to lose a profit.

Maybe you could quote in two parts... First, for the cartography job and second, an option on the printing. The client can then decide whether he wants you to print it or do it himself... :unsure:

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Maybe you could quote in two parts... First, for the cartography job and second, an option on the printing. The client can then decide whether he wants you to print it or do it himself... :unsure:

This is a good idea to keep in mind, especially if you aren't really into the print-quoting business. It takes time and energy to develop relationships with printers (and yes you can almost certainly get better pricing than what you get online, but that does provide a good benchmark). Your handling the printing (especially if a press check is involved), and taking the financial risk of carrying the printer's bill are all worth something, so if you're in a situation where you can't mark up printing to compensate you fairly, you should separate the two pieces in the client quote. There is always a good chance that they have a relationship with a printer who can get them good pricing. I've found this is especially true of business membership groups like chambers of commerce and visitors bureaux.

If they're sane, they won't get mad at quoting a print price that's high to them. When we get printer quotes for a new job, it is not uncommon for us to get quotes that are twice as much as other quotes. Seriously. So they should just say they can do it cheaper if they can and leave it at that. Heck, if you have a friendly relationship with the client, maybe you can get a lead on good printing!

One caveat: You need to be clear what exactly you are delivering, so the client doesn't get a quote with bad information. Are you delivering a PDF or an EPS? Bleed or no bleed? Heavy or light coverage? Vector or raster artwork (how many of you have delivered illustrator PDFs only to discover them rasterized and blurry in the final print?)? Tight registration or newspaper-style registration? And you need to be clear that files you send are delivered as is, and if the printer hangs up on a file you deliver because they're used to printing two-color newsletters, you will bill in addition to walk them through it.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->