• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Not the first map of a Trans-Antartic crossing but a map of the first Trans-Antartic crossing ;)

Did this a few years back now for the biography of Sir Edmond Hillary—a NZer who was the first person to climb Mt Everest with his sherpa Tensing, the part of the team to be the first to cross Antartica and also made a huge contribution to aid in Nepal setting up schools and hospitals for the local people.

Anyway here's the map that was done—the reason I'm posting this now is a colluge is going to Nepal shortly and was interested in seeing the maps so I had to get them off archive.

Cheers,

Sam.

Attached Files

S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Nice map: clean, clear, simple!

If I may, I'd make a simple comment because I'm having a discussion about this with Eli on his Coastal BC First Nations and it may apply here.

The only thing I see on your map is the hierarchical order of the symbology... Since Great Britain claim is marked like the other, in a "band" on the border of the map, it looks like it's the legitimate one and those of Chile and Argentina look to be of a "second order" because the symbol is less "important" graphically.

But it doesn't really matter... your map look nice to me! ;)

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Very nice map. I really like the way you did the ice shelves, nice not too sharp edges.
I would've liked to see something indicating direction and/or date markers on the route.
Is the UK claim the "recognized" one? Does it really matter who claims which parts?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Is the UK claim the "recognized" one? Does it really matter who claims which parts?

That's the problem when more than one country are claiming the same part...

On this map from (I think), the Australian Government Antarctic Division, you can see the overlapping of the claim territories...

Each one of them will say that this territory is theirs... The British will say that the "own" the Palmer Land, but the Chilean and the Argentinian will say the same. Using dashes to mark boundaries could lead the reader that Chile is trying to take a part of the British territory. It's only perception, but we have to be careful of it... It's what it looks like in one of my own maps in the Coastal BC First Nations topic but once again, it's the design department, with no cartographic background that make the choice.

Perception are important... Drawing a line is like making a statement... A full line between Morocco and Western Sahara suggest that WS is an occupied by a foreign country because it is under Morocco's control. But with a dashed line, it's like you're saying "Ok, it's debatable, and I don't want to take position (and you may be right), but there's something going there" i.e. WS could be occupied or it could be a legitimate territory of Morocco, but you don't want to make any endorsement...

F.

p.s. the example in this post do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the author ;)

Attached Files

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Thanks Francois,

Yes I see what you mean about the GB/Chile/Argintina areas—I have definaatly made it look like GB is 'official' and the other two are just kids fighting over the sandpit and should of probably shown a but clearer.

As for the dates etc I remember wanting to add this (and some more) route info but couldn't get it from the author in time. Maps seem to be the last thought in a book process—yet something that can add so mush to the experience when done thoughtfully. Always seems to be, 'We are publishing next week and need these maps, Do you have them?' Guess it's cause all the maps have already been made—just clip a bit out. ;)
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Maps seem to be the last thought in a book process

Talk to me about it! I was hire 2½ years ago to work on an atlas project as the first and only cartographer in the company (a Montreal based publisher) and they thought that making 24 11x18 world thematic maps would take about 4 months including the research and without no GIS in place... Well now, at the end of the step 2 of the project (I haven't worked 2½ years on those 24 maps ;) ) they seems to be, even now, more interested or concerned about the textual content than the maps... Did I mentioned it was an Atlas?? ;) (btw, it's almost finished - http://www.qa-intern...ption/Index.htm and you can find other example there http://www.francoisg...t.com/portfolio under "Atlas thématique mondial" :D I'm quite proud of it...)

So I understand you perfectly (I managed to find something about one of my previous post on Ukrainian Data ... I'll try to post it monday in the map gallery)

We should write a Cartographer's chart containing useful info for our clients:
"Maps can't be build in 2 hours" (well, thety can, but you will have what you pay for... just give me a sheet of paper and a pen and I'll make you a sketch - without a scale bar and a North Arrow ;) (Wow, I made a CT inside joke! ;) )
"As a professional cartographer, I can't simply put a point "near that smudge of the relief" or "about an inch east of the river source" and put a name on it... Give me the name of that place, I'll find you the exact location..."

Could be fun! :P

p.s. Sorry, the end was a little off topic ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->