• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

westcoastmapguy

westcoastmapguy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:ATV, Computer, Hockey, Music and Mapping.
  • Canada

Hello all,

I am posting a couple of pics of the 3rd version of my Sunshine Coast Super Map. this is a tourist and recreational map of the are that I live. I rode and drove all the streets and ATV'd all the back country trails with my Magellan GPS. I am sure that I am going to get slammed for my unorthodox color scheme and road/trail systems. I haven't seen another map like this one and I built it with no previous experience in cartography, so I'm sure the list of critiques will be long. I have mastered Illustrator and have been using it daily since 1993. I have just begun a Whistler Super Map and am contemplating trying MAPublisher, although using a new piece of software is a little daunting to me.

If anyone is using it please let me know what the learning curve was like. I use a Mac G5-1.8 Mhz Tower with 4Gb Ram and am thinking of upgrading to the oct-a-core monster Mac.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Jason (westcoastmapguy)

Attached Files

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I simply love MAPublisher!

I was an intermediate user of Illustrator and with the MAPublisher's tutorial and user guide I was able to do almost everything I want in only a couple of days. It's quite easy to understand and use even though you have only a little knowledge of GIS software and Illy which is not your case . I've been working with it for over a year now and couldn't work without it now...

And that's a beautiful map btw... ;)

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I can't make out any of the symbols or text :( ...is there anyway you could fix this.

-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo)
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

westcoastmapguy

westcoastmapguy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

I can't make out any of the symbols or text :( ...is there anyway you could fix this.

-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo)

Hi Casey,

Are you wanting to see a closer version of the map?

I have attached a close shot of the legend and a chunk of the map.

Jason

Attached Files

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi Jason!

I just noticed something in your legend.

At the bottom left, in you icons list, you seems to have a hiker between the gas station and the golfer and the symbols don't line up with the text... I love the details on the map though!

Thanks for posting it! :)

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • United States

Hi Jason!

I just noticed something in your legend.

At the bottom left, in you icons list, you seems to have a hiker between the gas station and the golfer and the symbols don't line up with the text... I love the details on the map though!

Thanks for posting it! :)

Looks like an extra hiker icon in the left hand column. The icons in that column look like they are reduced a bit to fit the extraneous hiker icon.
Otherwise, nice map!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

westcoastmapguy

westcoastmapguy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Thanks guys, I noticed that too.
I guess if I was using MaPublisher that wouldn't happen!

Jason

mikeb226

mikeb226

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • United States

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I have to add my two cents...

Love the map - It tricky to have that much information and be able to present it in a clear and concise manner. You've done a great job of this.

I would mention that from a color prospective, the dark blue of the water and the dark green of the land seem to blend together quite a bit, especially in the insets. Perhaps more of a contrast between land and water would differentiate them better, like a lighter blue for the water, since the bulk of the info is on land and symbolized for a darker background.

I've attached a rough version of what I'm talking about. To make it, all I did was open the jpg in Phototshop, selected just the color of the water and replaced it with a lighter blue. Oh, and I deselected the blue legend part because that part looked great darker blue.

That being said, is this map available for download as a pdf or a print version for purchase?

Attached Files

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello!

Great map! Lots of detail but I agree with making the water lighter. It's much easier to read.

Thanks for posting.
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->