• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The only draw back to blogging on your business site - you run the risk of polarizing your customers. If you decide to write on a subject that's potentially derisive, your customers may not want to do business with you.

True, it's a fine line. However, that goes with forum postings too. Seeing that I 'am' the company, I can't really post a disclaimer saying that my posts reflect my thoughts, not my companies.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Seeing that I 'am' the company, I can't really post a disclaimer saying that my posts reflect my thoughts, not my companies.

You could try one that says that your thoughts do not affect your ability to make great maps ;)

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I still want to revive CartoBlog if there is anyone out there that would like to contribute.

Seems to me that to make it work, it needs to have a tighter focus than "cartography." I know I'm always tempted to put all sorts of other stuff on my blog, but I have to keep reminding myself (by reading the header for example) what the blog is supposed to be about. I think Strange Maps would be my model of a successful map blog: tight focus, consistent tone, and almost always interesting. Mine by comparison is self-indulgent; I enjoy it, but I do it as much for myself as for the public.

I could see blogs about:

- The new maps we've done; not just the draft ones we mostly talk about here (i.e. open season for horn-tooting of ourselves and others)

- Cartographic problems/questions, like my cartographic perspectives idea: pick something really specific like bathymetry or one-way streets, and write a little summary of one person's point of view, looking for comments.

- "Not dead yet", a blog about the world of cartography that is still doing just fine thank you.

- Great Maps: talk about maps we really like, one per entry.article

Three of these ideas are very image-heavy.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

The original concept behind Cartoblog was Design Observer, which is to say ruminations about the art and craft of cartography (another example is The Morning News). It was not meant to be Engadget or any other "reporting" blog that just recycled press releases and other announcements (well, actually those were reserved for the sidebar). I was hoping for insightful, thought- and discussion-provoking articles.

I think the half dozen posts on CartoBlog from last year succeeded in meeting those goals, but we just lost momentum. I am really going to try and start again.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

The only draw back to blogging on your business site - you run the risk of polarizing your customers. If you decide to write on a subject that's potentially derisive, your customers may not want to do business with you.

True, it's a fine line. However, that goes with forum postings too. Seeing that I 'am' the company, I can't really post a disclaimer saying that my posts reflect my thoughts, not my companies.

To a certain degree, I agree with that. Certainly, if someone really want to find out about me, then doing a search for my name will turn up my forum posts. (Which is why I'm careful with my online identity - I have my 'professional' identity and my 'personal' identity, and it's pretty hard to cross reference them).

But, if you are place a blog on your company home page (instead of a forum such as this), you run a much greater risk. It my opinion that the average customer will just poke around your business web site. I don't expect the average customer to do a web search for your name, and track you down to the point of finding your forum postings.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

To a certain degree, I agree with that. Certainly, if someone really want to find out about me, then doing a search for my name will turn up my forum posts. (Which is why I'm careful with my online identity - I have my 'professional' identity and my 'personal' identity, and it's pretty hard to cross reference them).

But, if you are place a blog on your company home page (instead of a forum such as this), you run a much greater risk. It my opinion that the average customer will just poke around your business web site. I don't expect the average customer to do a web search for your name, and track you down to the point of finding your forum postings.

Point taken, although I'd have to say I've always used my real name for most forums I'm a member of, including some private. Not sure whether that's a bad thing, I certainly haven't *noticed* any bad effects.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Nick,

I'm going to send a couple articles for Cartoblog your way to see what you think. I'll have them to you by tonight.

-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo)

Sorry i havn't sent anything yet its been a busy weekend/week. Ill keep trying to think of ideas to write, and hopefully get you something soon.
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->