5 replies to this topic

jlock

jlock

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada
Hello!
I am creating poster of a 3D perspective of an image draped over a DEM. The poster will be displayed at a conference. My question is:
After I've created the 3D perspective in ArcScene, how should I proceed to make it a nice looking poster? Canit all be done in ArcScene or should I export the image to another softwre? If I do the later, will the quality of the resolution degrade?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi there,

I'm not familiar with ArcScene, so I'm not sure what export capabilities it has.

I would recommend exporting your image in the highest resolution possible, preferably as a TIFF file. Then import that in a graphics design or DTP package (Illustrator, Freehand, InDesign etc) and 'create' the rest of the poster around it.

Do you have a more detailed description of the kind of end result you'd like to achieve?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Sorry about the double post. Software hiccuped
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

jlock,

Sorry for the late post. The last week has been crazy getting ready for mid-terms.

You can export a 2D scene by going to File menu - and then Export (2D). You will have the option of exporting in a wide variety of raster and vector formats. If you want to export the scene into a vector format, I would probably select the EMF format or AI if you use Illustrator. If your exporting raster you could go with the png or TIFF...just depends on what imaging program you like to use.

I created a poster last year using 2D scenes from Arcscene. If I remember correctly, I exported the images as png files and used Macromedia fireworks to resize and enhance the images and assembled the final layout for print in Macromedia Freehand. Erin

The Mad Mapper

The Mad Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

Hello,

I am having the same problem....I have created a very nice 3d scene with ArcScene, but now cannot export it to a format that will look good in a presentation.

The resulting exports are pixilated, and some very dark areas are showing up in strange colours. I have tried increasing the export dpi, and increasing the scene sz as well. I tried exporting in pdf, jpg, tiff, png...Nothing looks good at all.

I even tried to do a screen shot instead...It looks better, as the color are true at least, but I get the same issues with pixilation.

I am at a loss. A week to the presentation. :unsure: Starting to stress out a little bit here.

Help......

SouthernCross

SouthernCross

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Canada

ArcScene is notorious for producing very poor quality during exports. Try keeping the resolution of your output and the scene size to match your pixel size.

http://forums.esri.c...p...34&t=205243

ArcScene is not really used for quality output. It has many documented issues with latticing and poor rendering. You might want to look at 3D Studio Max, Vue or any other quality 3d rendering program.

Incidentally if you have access to these programs you could try exporting from ArcScene as a VRML and opening it up in one of these programs, then try exporting from there. Other than that, I believe you are $&%* out of luck, as Dirty Harry would say.
W.P.
"Hic sunt leones"
www.neagis.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->