• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

westcoastmapguy

westcoastmapguy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:ATV, Computer, Hockey, Music and Mapping.
  • Canada

Hello all and thanks for having this forum. I was hoping that some may have an idea of where to buy vector Contour lines 100m elevation for a select area in BC, Canada. The only place so far is the Canadian Government and they want my first born.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello all and thanks for having this forum. I was hoping that some may have an idea of where to buy vector Contour lines 100m elevation for a select area in BC, Canada. The only place so far is the Canadian Government and they want my first born.

Can you indicate which area you're looking for? It's pretty easy to generate contour lines from SRTM using Global Mapper. The results would probabely be a bit less than topographically created contour lines, but it may work just fine for what you're trying to do (and it won't cost you nearly as much).

Feel free to contact me privately if you're interested.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Canada has relesased all its 1:50000 basemap data on the Geogratis web site. You just need to obtain a user name and password and you can down load the data in shape file format by Topo map index (50k and 250k). Also, you can download the 20 m elevation data from the Geobase web site as well as other datasets and satellite imagery.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Canada has relesased all its 1:50000 basemap data on the Geogratis web site. You just need to obtain a user name and password and you can down load the data in shape file format by Topo map index (50k and 250k). Also, you can download the 20 m elevation data from the Geobase web site as well as other datasets and satellite imagery.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

There is a setback with the elevation data, the lowest elevation data is exactly 20m, & the coastline is stored as a polygon in shp format. You can only obtain shp files, Geogratis does not have e00 format where you can extract the coastline as line data. When creating DEMS with the elevation data in Manifold I often find bleeds of the 20m data showing up where it should be reading 0m.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->