• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi folks,

I want to expand my reach and try to obtain contracts in other countries (I'm in Canada and I may have contacts for new clients). What should I know before doing any jobs? Any "financial" advices?

I mean, what can I do if I have, for example, problem being paid by a client? How are the best ways to be paid? Checks? Some told me to have Paypal accounts for international clients. Is for my taxes the same thing if the check comes from another country?

Thanks!

Francois
www.francoisgoulet.com

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I'm Canadian too, and I've been doing this for years without any complication. I have a US dollar account and quote in US dollars for anyone outside Canada. (Until recently, that worked to our advantage when competing with Americans on quotes!) I just ask for payment either by a USD$ cheque or by credit card. For credit card payments I use Internetsecure http://www.internetsecure.com/ , which is Canadian and very reliable and secure, not nutty like PayPal. Rev Canada doesn't care where our money comes from as long as they get their share. :rolleyes:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hi folks,

I want to expand my reach and try to obtain contracts in other countries (I'm in Canada and I may have contacts for new clients). What should I know before doing any jobs? Any "financial" advices?

I mean, what can I do if I have, for example, problem being paid by a client? How are the best ways to be paid? Checks? Some told me to have Paypal accounts for international clients. Is for my taxes the same thing if the check comes from another country?

Thanks!

Francois
www.francoisgoulet.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Paypal works okay, but so do direct transfers into somebodies bank account. Usually within a few days, from and to all corners of the globe. Checks are a bit of a hassle over here, at least in The Netherlands. They're my least favourite choice of payment method.

I always prefer to be paid in euro's (no nasty surprises if the rate plummets), but I guess you would want Canadian or US $ :D

When you're not being paid by a foreign customer, you have a bit of a problem. Check with your legal insurance or collections agency whether or not they can do something for you in such cases, but I have to say I've never had a need to look into that. Pretty much all of my foreign customers have been very courteous and prompt in paying their bills. It's also a matter of mutual trust I guess.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->