• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

I am curious about what level of GIS cartographers are using. There seems to be a big push in the enterprise GIS market, but how many of you are using that level? I have always been partial to desktop GIS, probably because that is what I learned. But maybe, too, because I don't want to have to administer a complex database (PostgreSQL or Oracle) as an additional item on my to-do list.
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

ArcGIS 9.2 with ArcSDE/ArcGIS Server. I wouldn't call that enterprise GIS really, most of the operations are still on the desktop. The database server is a data library and is also used for online/interactive maps, presented through ArcIMS.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • United States

Our shop is a little different. ;) I guess I'd have to call our system "enterprise" since it all works on servers, using a combination of SQL/Oracle and Perl/Linux. Our system is home-grown and we call it CAMPS (Census Automated Map Production System). We need to produce thousands, sometimes millions, of maps for numerous operations leading up to, including, and following the decennial census. As you can imagine, we don't actually see most of the maps that we produce: mainly prototypes and problem maps. We do use ArcMap for some small jobs, and until very recently we also used ArcINFO workstation for some projects.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

It comes down to experience & how much money do you have and/or are willing to spend. Personally I have chosen a desktop because 1) I'm new to the industry, & 2) cost effectiveness.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Desktop GIS (Manifold/Global Mapper/FME), I don't see the need for going 'Enterprise' when I am the entire company ;)

Though I have set up a local MySQL spatial database to hold some oft-used data, as well as some other business-related stuff, but that's currently more for the convenience factor than an actual need.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

The Marine Corps used to be desktop, but we've moved to an almost completely server environment.

Obviously, the answer is going to be different for different organizations. As you can imagine, we've got hundreds of users, spread out over a very large area. It made sense for us to manage everything in a server environment, including ArcGIS. That is launched through Citrix. We manage all of our licenses via our Citrix farm.

We've got two primary systems - one on the west coast, and one on the east coast. It's worked very well for us.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->