6 replies to this topic

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
:( I'm having a heck of a time getting the hillshade geotiff I created to place into my layout I'm creating. I am completely new at using MaPublisher therefor I pretty much think that the errors I'm incuring are of hte "user" varity. Anyhoo I first received an error message that my Image was to large so I called support and received noticed that I should change the bit size output when creating the Hillshade and they "corrected" the image, well I tried to open it and all that came in was a silloette of the county.

Any Ideas - Help!!!

I'm sorry to chage the dissusion on you

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I split this topic to give it more visibility in the appropriate forum.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
O.k. update I found the email I received from Avenza support ----

Hi,

The issue with the image in Illustrator was its bit depth. When I tried to place the image (169 megs BTW) Illustrator CS gave the following warning.
" Cannot open or place TIF file with that bir depth. " so thats the issue

so.... I opened it in Photopaint, converted it to 8 bit paletted and resaved as the attached version which can be placed. The image was greyscale so the colour conversion didn't seem
significant. BTW the image is still quite large by AI standards, so make sure you have plenty of memory (RAM). You should be able to modisfy the bit depth the image is saved in in spatial analyst.

hope this helps

Modify the bit depth??---- If anyone out there knows the process to make the hillshade a tiff that fits within the perameters required for Illustrator your help whould be greatly appreciated.

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
Thanks NICK!!! I should have thought of that -- I was adding a reply about 9.1 and then took a left turn at Alburquerque!!!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

This seems to be more an Illustrator problem than a MAPublisher problem. MP relies on Illustrator to import and place the tiff in the document, then takes over for the georeferencing part.

If you open the tiff file in another application (Photoshop), what do you see?

Finally, 169 Mb is large, but by no means too large, provided you have enough ram.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
[quote name='Hans van der Maarel' date='Aug 31 2005, 12:13 AM']

If you open the tiff file in another application (Photoshop), what do you see?

Sadly - I do not have Photoshop and I believe I may have found the problem.....the computer doesn't have enough ram at the moment.... I'm going to get our IS to up it and see if the problem continues..... I'll update at that time... Thanks

Dave Baselt

Dave Baselt

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States
Len,
If you're still having problems you may want to try re-saving the TIFF in another format. It seems that Illustrator CS2 doesn't really like TIFFs. I often get out-of-memory errors while trying to import relatively small (20 MB) TIFFs, and upgrading my computer to 2 GB RAM didn't make any difference. However, if I re-save the image as a Photoshop file, Illustrator imports it without any problems. With MAPublisher you can then apply the georeferencing data from the GeoTIFF to the placed Photoshop file.
If you don't have Photoshop, try saving your image as an RGB TIFF or maybe a JPEG.
Finally, are you working with a 32 bit TIFF? That could cause problems with Illustrator and would also produce a silhouette if incorrectly converted to 8 bits. I wrote a crude Java program to do this conversion, but Photoshop CS2 will also do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->