7 replies to this topic

LIZZY

LIZZY

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi,
I work in Television Graphics and usually create maps using Mountain High Maps software. However, I have a project where I need to create a Peter's Projection of the world - this is not on Mountain High Maps and I can't seem to find any software anywhere on-line. I usually use Adobe Photoshop paths or Adobe Illustrator paths. Does anybody know of any software which will allow me to do this?

Thank you for your help
Lizzy

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I work in Television Graphics and usually create maps using Mountain High Maps software. However, I have a project where I need to create a Peter's Projection of the world - this is not on Mountain High Maps and I can't seem to find any software anywhere on-line. I usually use Adobe Photoshop paths or Adobe Illustrator paths. Does anybody know of any software which will allow me to do this?

Check whether you can do a Gall-Peters projection (the same, but with a more 'neutral' name) or a Cylindrical Equal Area projection with standard parallels +45 and -45 degrees

Manifold (http://www.manifold.com) can do the latter, and export to Adobe Illustrator.

Alternatively, we have a number of freelance cartographers here who would be able to provide you with a Illustrator file in the Peters projection. Feel free to ask any of the companies listed in the resources section.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

LIZZY

LIZZY

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Check whether you can do a Gall-Peters projection (the same, but with a more 'neutral' name) or a Cylindrical Equal Area projection with standard parallels +45 and -45 degrees

Manifold (http://www.manifold.com) can do the latter, and export to Adobe Illustrator.

Alternatively, we have a number of freelance cartographers here who would be able to provide you with a Illustrator file in the Peters projection. Feel free to ask any of the companies listed in the resources section.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Hans, that's great. I think I shall get in touch with one of your freelancers.

Cheers, Lizzy

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I was about to say FlexProjector, but it doesn't support it.

There might also be clipart around, I did a quick search through iStockPhoto, but they didn't have anything.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Will this help?

http://upload.wikime...Gall-peters.jpg
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Even MaPublisher doesn't have it. Surprising. The Avenza Knowledgebase says it's there under "Gall Stereographic", but I find nothing by that name in the MaPublisher 7 projections collection, and reprojecting from Plate-Caree to "Stereographic" gets me an error...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Even MaPublisher doesn't have it. Surprising. The Avenza Knowledgebase says it's there under "Gall Stereographic", but I find nothing by that name in the MaPublisher 7 projections collection, and reprojecting from Plate-Caree to "Stereographic" gets me an error...

There have been some changes to the MAPublisher coordsys/projection handling in version 7, looks like the knowledge base is outdated.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

LIZZY

LIZZY

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thank you all so much for your feedback and information on the Peters Projection map software. I have been pointed towards the website Map Resources who have an illustrator eps file of the projection http://www.mapresources.com/preview

Thanks again for everyones help on this matter.

All the best, Lizzy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->