g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Greg, and welcome to Cartotalk.

Map looks pretty good. Some loss of detail in smaller text labels and symbols, but that's probabely due to the JPG settings.

Some comments:
  • Looks like you've got the labels for the Nanaimo and Tsawwassen ferries switched around :)
  • It appears your terrain (hillshade) layer and your coastlines aren't matching. Take Sidney Island for example, it looks like there's a hill in the water.
  • I would move "Strait of Juan de Fuca" either to the area of the scale bar (and move that somewhere else, maybe closer to the north arrow), or leave it off altogether. Right now, it looks like it only applies to the bay between Esquimalt and Colwood.
  • The Department of Defense areas aren't mentioned in the legend. Also, shouldn't that be CFB? And, if you're going to show them, might as well show the big navy base at Esquimalt.
  • I'm not a big fan of Futura on maps. The 'a' and 'o' are very similar, making it hard to tell them apart at small sizes.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Greg,
The data you're using is somewhat inaccurate/out of date/incomplete. For example:
- I'm not entirely sure why you label some features in the area (such as police departments and hospitals), but not others? You're missing Victoria General Hospital and Victoria Police, etc.
- I'm pretty sure that there are inaccuracies in your inset map - Eaton Centre is now the Bay Centre, the RCMP is not located where you say it is, you're missing a bunch of streets, Point Ellice is the name of the bridge, not the street (and it's not a parkway), etc.
- I can't read the other label for the "Park" - it's actually a cemetery.
- it's Swan Lake Park and Royal Athletic Park
- I don't think St Anne's Academy is a Park - it's a greenspace, but I don't think it's public.
- James Bay is usually known as a neighbourhood, the Inner Harbour is what it is usually more acceptable for the body of water south of the Upper Harbour
- there is no Nanaimo ferry from Victoria, only to the Gulf Islands and Tsawwasen
- Vancouver's location on your locator map is kinda funky - you seem to be missing a bunch of the lower mainland.
- there's "hiking" at all the parks on the map - or at least trails. And there's also lots more swimming places than you note.
- I would label the "Golf Course" as "Cedar Hill Park", as there are many other golf courses that aren't on the map
- You might try the Natural Areas Atlas for some more information.

Personally, I'd also include the University of Victoria (and Camosun/Royal Roads). I also prefer to call "Native Reserves" "Indian Reserves" instead - it's a colonial concept, so why not use the colonial word? Plus, it has the added bonus of being technically correct. Do you think it's a bit funny to use a Haida image for Salish people? Also, you may want to note that the image was used "with permission".

Cartographically speaking, I find it kinda funny that your lakes and rivers are different colours. Portage Inlet seems more lake coloured rather than ocean coloured. Victoria's font size should also be reduced to that it's not overlapping into Oak Bay. I also don't understand the "City Limits" in your legend - it's not the extent of the City of Victoria, and it doesn't match to the urbanized extent. Moreover, it seems to have an outline that matches the coastline...?

Hope that helps! Looking forward to the next version, e.

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

The data you're using is somewhat inaccurate/out of date/incomplete.

I completely agree, we were working with an old base map that was put together by a previous student.
I didn't check the accuracy of the base map, obviously it was lacking.

Although this was a 'Graphic Design' assignment, it should still be accurate.

Thanks for your comments.
Greg Moore

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Map designed for Graphic Design Class

Any suggestions or critique is welcome! Thanks

Am I missing something here, I can't see a link.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Am I missing something here, I can't see a link.

He had the map posted, but it hasn't been up for a couple days.

-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo)
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I will post a revision if I find the time to get back to this project.

thanks again for the comments!
Greg Moore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->