• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You, who are already on nine point one, any (exciting) news for us cartographers, and any changes (improvements?) in the Illustrator export?

(I know, I could look it up in the list of changes, but it is also good to hear things from people who use it practically)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

vandalmax

vandalmax

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States
I've been on 9.1 for a couple of weeks now and I haven't noticed any really useful changes. I export to Corel Draw though, so I don't know about Illustrator.

The most impressive change has been that the processing time is now reported in with hours and minutes, instead of just seconds. It's nice to know that ESRI learned how to divide by sixty. :P

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Frax,

Some potentially useful tools have been added to the Toolbox but I have not had a chance to test them yet. Not sure what even needs to be added to the Illustrator export...IMO it seems fairly complete. I dont know that it well ever handle transparencies and pattern well and I prefer to build that stuff native in Illustrator if I am going to use it since there are alot more options there. The biggest change for me was when they added a CMYK export option and I didnt have to deal with the big color shifts but that happened a while ago.

mg

melon_mapper

melon_mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts-I am a 3rd degree Black Belt and run my own program through the local park and rec department<br>NASCAR<br>Footbal (Badgers and Packers)<br>My kids and my family<br>I was just intorduced to geocaching<br>
  • United States
I have been using 9.1 for the past 3 months. The biggest cartographic enhancement is the maplex labeling engine. It does a really good job readjusting the labels.

Some thing I have learned bring data into Illustrator- When you get the dialog box to update legacy type(since arc saves it as an Illustrator 3 version)- I always update. Then when the file does open up the first thing I do is select all and then use an arrow key-press once and the type is ok and very editable. If you use maplex and it stacks the type each row will be its own not part of the the other rows of type.

John

Themarko

Themarko

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sculpture, art, music, hiking.
  • United States
I made the switch from 3.3 straight to 9.1, skipping all the version in between. So I can't really compare it to 9.0 or 8.x but it does have a lot of nice features that makes my life easier. Nearly everything is editable, lots of nice tools, etc. I do sometimes have a problem where it just crashes without warning and work is lost. Naturally that is pretty frustrating. It does import well into Illustrator. I also think it's more user friendly to the non-GIS people. I recently taught a class in it and they picked it up much quicker than 3.3,but then perhaps their overall computer skills were better to begin with.

Mark

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

ArcGIS 9.2 will have more features and a few more cartographic tools to help improve the map creation process.

http://www.direction...?article_id=927

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

cool,
thanks for the comments!

We'll see when my update arrives (it has to pass through Africa due to obscure licensing requirements, my licenses are provided through Nairobi)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->